DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 1:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:54 pm 
Newly registered Member

I replaced my gutters and down pipes the other week which went fine, unfortunately the bottle of silicone lubricant I was using for the guttering joint seals leaked on my flat felt roof. Tried cleaning it up when I noticed but didn't want to use solvents/detergents in case it damaged it further.

I've attached pics to show the sizing and type of roof, it's an old one but should have had quite a few more years left in it.

Is it anything to worry about, i.e. softening the bitumen and reducing the roof life span, and does it need to be fixed before it spreads out further?

Wasn't sure if applying a felt self adhesive repair patch a lot larger than the stain would work if I used roofing primer first was the right approach, even if it didn't stick well on the stain. Advice would be welcome, even if it is just to get a roofer in to do a proper repair.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:26 pm 

While I am honestly unable to answer your question, If it was me I would check the container of the Lubricant for any web-site info or contact info.
You need just enough information to google it and find their web-site.
Then when you have found a web-address, email them and ask if their product would be reactive with your bitumen/felt roof!
Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:39 pm 

That wont damage the felt.

You need to repoint the lead flashing, and it looks like only one torch on green mineral, the outline of the boards can be seen.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

@davyp1 - Fair point I did check the container first, it didn't mention anything about it. When I did have a good google there were lots of hits for not using silicone based sealants on bitumen roofing materials due to poor adhesion or softening of the bitumen materials. Which made me concerned that the silicone oil would do the same thing.

@cotswold builders - Well spotted, that was next on my to do list of small jobs that needed taking care of. In terms of the "outline of the boards can be seen", does this indicate a problem or is just common in older torch on felt roofs?

We haven't had any leaks so far or damp patches in the ceiling underneath it, ideally looking to get as many years out of it as possible before replacing.