DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:24 pm


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:10 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 3
Location: West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi,

I'm going to be building a deck in my back garden and have attached an image of the plan for it. It is 5.6m by 3.6m and consists of four rectangles, two of 2.8m by 2.0m and two of 2.8m by 1,6m, all bolted together to make the whole deck. As can be seen in the image I have also added noggins to try to strengthen/stabilise the deck base.

The decking will be straight to the ground, i.e. not raised.

Attachment:
File comment: Decking Plan
decking_v1.png
decking_v1.png [ 18.24 KiB | Viewed 752 times ]

My current plan of attack is as follows:

1) Remove an area of turf 5.6m by 3.6m to a depth of 50mm dropping to a depth of 85mm to account for a 1:100 slope.
2) Place paving slabs on a bed of sand as marked on the plan.
3) Place weed control fabric down to cover the rest of the exposed soil and then cover the fabric with pebbles.
4) Build each of the individual base rectangles that make up the whole of the base.
5) Attach the base rectabgles to each other using coach bolts.
6) Place the finished deck base on to the paving slabs, ensuring it is level along the 5.6m length.
7) Start boarding the deck.

My questions are as follows:

1) Is my overall approach sound?
2) Will sand and paving slabs be enough to support the base and keep it off ground to prevent it getting wet?
3) Have I planned in too many/not enough paving slabs to support the base?
4) Have I added enough noggins to maintain a stable base structure?
5) Do I need to add any balustrade for safety or can I leave it open (my wife would prefer it without the balustrade if possible)?

Any other advice or suggestions you have would be great too.

Thanks.


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:22 pm 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 7761
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 984 times
Been thanked: 1812 times
It looks pretty sound mate. For the perimeter you've got joists in between the posts,bolt longer lengths/full lengths to the outside instead.
You've went with 400mm centres and nothing's/dwangs. 600mm centres is ample with noggings/dwangs given the span and amount of posts you've got to stabilise.

Edit- when planning a deck go to a builders/timber yard for materials. You'll get joists in 4.8/5.4 lengths which make setting out easier and more cost affective. Same with the decking boards.



For this message the author steviejoiner74 has received gratitude : veersix
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:39 pm 
Online
Pro Carpenter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 20268
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 662 times
Been thanked: 1897 times
heeelllooo and welcome veersix :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
assuming in the uk
are you aware you need to keep it below 300mm at the highest natural ground point it covers
and the below 50% off the origional garden can be covered to avoid the need for planning permission

the 50% is the origional building footprint taken from the plot gives you the area off the garden
https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/detached-house
https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploa ... ldings.pdf

_________________
we are all ------------------still learning



For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : veersix
Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:14 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 3
Location: West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 times
steviejoiner74 wrote:
It looks pretty sound mate. For the perimeter you've got joists in between the posts,bolt longer lengths/full lengths to the outside instead.
You've went with 400mm centres and nothing's/dwangs. 600mm centres is ample with noggings/dwangs given the span and amount of posts you've got to stabilise.


Thanks for the advice.

The grey squares aren't posts. They are just the postions of the paving slabs, hence why some are in the middle of the joists. I wasn't planning on using posts, should I be?


Last edited by veersix on Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:20 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:34 pm
Posts: 3
Location: West Yorkshire
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 0 times
big-all wrote:
heeelllooo and welcome veersix :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
assuming in the uk
are you aware you need to keep it below 300mm at the highest natural ground point it covers
and the below 50% off the origional garden can be covered to avoid the need for planning permission

the 50% is the origional building footprint taken from the plot gives you the area off the garden
https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/detached-house
https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploads/miniguides/outbuildings/Outbuildings.pdf

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, ytes I'm in the UK. I was aware of both the 300mm rule and the 50% rule and in this case I'm not tripped up by either of them :)

The question about the balustrades was because I've seen a few decking designs that aren't much higher than a decking plank width with them and I hadn't read anything to say you had to have them, but just wanted to check I hadn't missed something.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 10:38 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:04 pm
Posts: 7761
Location: Fife
Has thanked: 984 times
Been thanked: 1812 times
veersix wrote:
steviejoiner74 wrote:
It looks pretty sound mate. For the perimeter you've got joists in between the posts,bolt longer lengths/full lengths to the outside instead.
You've went with 400mm centres and nothing's/dwangs. 600mm centres is ample with noggings/dwangs given the span and amount of posts you've got to stabilise.


Thanks for the advice.

The grey squares aren't posts. They are just the postions of the paving slabs, hence why some are in the middle of the joists. I wasn't planning on using posts, should I be?

My mistake! If you are levelling paving slabs for the deck to sit on that's fine. It's only if it's raised or the ground is running away that you need to set posts and anchor the frame to them.
Low level decks don't need balustrades.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:36 pm 
Online
Pro Carpenter
User avatar

Joined: Sat Dec 16, 2006 10:11 pm
Posts: 20268
Location: redhill surrey an auld reekie laddie
Has thanked: 662 times
Been thanked: 1897 times
veersix wrote:
big-all wrote:
heeelllooo and welcome veersix :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:
assuming in the uk
are you aware you need to keep it below 300mm at the highest natural ground point it covers
and the below 50% off the origional garden can be covered to avoid the need for planning permission

the 50% is the origional building footprint taken from the plot gives you the area off the garden
https://interactive.planningportal.co.uk/detached-house
https://ecab.planningportal.co.uk/uploa ... ldings.pdf

Thanks for the welcome and the advice, ytes I'm in the UK. I was aware of both the 300mm rule and the 50% rule and in this case I'm not tripped up by either of them :)

The question about the balustrades was because I've seen a few decking designs that aren't much higher than a decking plank width with them and I hadn't read anything to say you had to have them, but just wanted to check I hadn't missed something.


glad you have it sorted
many a person doesnt realize that any extensions garages sheds greenhouses etc since it was built or after 1947 come off your 50% allowance :lol:

_________________
we are all ------------------still learning


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:43 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7271
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 1228 times
I wouldn't bother with the gravel on the weed fabric. Reason being it will only be somewhere else for seeds to grow and crumbs to collect.
Have you considered making a "trap door" for future access?

I am not joking about either, my garden is weed fabric and gravel (no decking) its surprising (to me anyway) that although there is no soil weeds still grow.

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO