DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:57 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Damp Basement
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:38 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi

Can someone please help advise on my basement as it's driving me mad.

My basement has always been damp so I went through the process of tanking all of the walls, and stopping any air flow. But since doing this I'm having a major condensation issue with water forming on the cold walls, and it continually smells damp/mouldy. I have got a dehumidifier which clears the issue, but it would be constantly on if I didnt have it on a timer, it never gets below 90% humidity. How is this the case if there isnt water coming through the walls, or through fresh damp air coming into the basement?

The next thing I've been considering is fitting a bathroom extractor fan and duct to the outside. But I've read somewhere that this would draw down warm air from my house, and still leave me with a condensation issue? Is this true, or would it improve the problem.

Thanks in advance

Adam

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Damp Basement
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:10 am 

If you cut of air flow then there is no-where for damp air to go, hence the condensation. You need to identify where the moisture is coming from, deal with this and then heat/ventilate/dehumidify as needed to keep the damp at bay. Simply tanking and blocking off air flow will only make things worse.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:09 pm 
BANNED

I have a similar long standing problem as the OP
Quote:
You need to identify where the moisture is coming from

PLEASE, what is the best route to this?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:21 pm 

Hi,

I'm not a fan of covering up problems and regard "tanking" with suspicion; if water is blocked from getting in at one point it will most likely find a new position to gain entry. :scratch:

The best plan is to sort the problem at source if possible by finding why damp is being created; for many years our bungalow suffered water ingress under the floor at the corner of the front room; this gradually became worse and I was removing four buckets of water a day after rain or snow. There is access under the bungalow floor but there are also supporting single brick walls to the floor; I waited until summer then knocked an hole in the brick wall nearest the water ingress and had a good look around with a torch; the water was getting in around the kitchen sink area and fanning out because our bungalow is built on a steep valley side; I lifted a row of 3' x 2' patio flags adjacent to the kitchen wall and cleared down to the foundation where I located a faulty foundation to wall mortar joint; this was only about 4" long but plenty long enough to let a lot of water in. Being at foundation level I mixed up a strong mortar and after carefully cleaning all around the joint area made good the joint forcing the new mortar well in. I then ran a course of engineering bricks bedding these in a strong mortar mix to seal the entire joint. Whilst the heavy flags were lifted I dug out a channel and laid an engineering brick and concrete channel with a running outlet through a 4" soil pipe allowing any future water to discharge freely to the side of the bungalow under the pathway which is hollow beneath it being a soak way; the drains were upgraded from clay to plastic and the flags relaid; I bought a brand new cement mixer through eBay for the job then once the job was completed sold the cement mixer recouping most of its cost which was a great deal cheaper than hiring a cement mixer. This area of the bungalow is now bone dry and I can forget it but it was hard graft at the time.

Last year there was another water ingress problem this being to the garage wall and again a problem which was becoming worse each year. The bungalow is built into the valley side and the garage is located directly beneath the bungalow; to the side of the bungalow I installed a 42' long sloping path of 3' x 2' flags and I didn't want to disturb these or dig out tons of wet sticky clay so I decided to attack the problem from within the garage; the wall is double brick cavity and it was soaking wet; the wet section ran to about half garage length and not only was the lower wall soaking wet water was spreading across the concrete floor. This is a supporting wall so I dare not go mad and start removing big sections but what I did was to start in the middle of the garage and remove no more than four foundation bricks at a time; initially I removed two courses of brick but I got lucky and found another defective foundation mortar joint; I raked this joint out and again using a strong mortar mix made good the joint which possibly could have solved the problem but I had a plan by now to prevent this happening again; I dreamt up the idea of adding a water discharge drain into the cavity base and I had some spare lengths of plastic oval conduit; I cut this conduit into lengths to suit each section length of bricks being removed then I drilled lots of holes to one edge and across the bottom of the conduit to allow any future water to enter; I placed "flash-band" over the conduit to prevent mortar sealing the holes and worked steadily along the wall until the job was completed; at the conduit joints I added extra flash-band to ensure the ends of the conduit didn't become blocked I drilled an hole through the wall into the driveway and coupled in 15mm dia copper tube this being the water discharge into the driveway. A new damp proof was also added as work progressed overlapping the ends. As I added new sections of engineering brick I then let each section dry for two or three days before removing more bricks; for the mortar I thought I'm using impervious engineering bricks but what about the mortar? I bought mortar water-proofer and added this to the mix so now both the engineering bricks and mortar should remain watertight for many years yet to come; any future water hopefully will now be discharged harmlessly into the driveway but since doing this repair work not a drop of water has been discharged so the repairs to the mortar joint must have solved the problem.

I must stress I'm not a builder but with my engineering background I can apply my skills to many jobs; both water ingress problems were hard graft to sort out but monetary wise by doing all the work myself the cost proved very reasonable.

This is how I resolved our water ingress and although it's highly likely yours will be somewhat different the principle is the same; prevent the water getting in at source then add ventilation and the walls will automatically dry out. Covering up water ingress is only temporary; I believe in doing a job once however difficult the job is and it always works for me. If your basement is beneath ground level then a sump and pump could be added but the water would need diverting into the sump.

Good luck; I can understand your frustration. :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (1).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (1).JPG [ 178.37 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (2).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (2).JPG [ 212.82 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (3).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (3).JPG [ 244.17 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (4).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (4).JPG [ 180.4 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (5).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (5).JPG [ 205.52 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (6).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (6).JPG [ 200.43 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]
Attachment:
Garage water ingress sorted (7).JPG
Garage water ingress sorted (7).JPG [ 196.8 KiB | Viewed 519 times ]

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:19 pm 

Hi,

A few more pictures this time of the patio area where I installed flood defenses. A heck of a lot of work just to seal a 4" long faulty foundation to wall mortar joint but it shouldn't be any trouble in future.

I replaced the old clay pipes with plastic and did away with the two drains which used to be forever full of leaves by capping the ends of the underground drains with just holes for the pipework in the caps tidying the lot up; a nice neat job but it was hard graft. Not basement work but how I cured one lot of water ingress for good. Hope it's of interest.

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
IMG_6058.JPG
IMG_6058.JPG [ 420.29 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6074.JPG
IMG_6074.JPG [ 446.02 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG [ 468.61 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG [ 474.95 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
More work in progress (3).JPG
More work in progress (3).JPG [ 447.34 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
More work in progress (5).JPG
More work in progress (5).JPG [ 400.33 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
Ready for flags laying..JPG
Ready for flags laying..JPG [ 390.92 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]
Attachment:
IMG_6165.JPG
IMG_6165.JPG [ 358.17 KiB | Viewed 506 times ]

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:13 pm 

Great work there Col, it's very satisfying to fix something like that.

For this message the author Rorschach has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:23 am 
BANNED

So it was YOU Col. who built the Scammonden Dam section of the M62 - single handed .... :lol:

For this message the author AAA.Handy.Man has received gratitude : Retired