DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:24 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Lining - advice needed!
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:26 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and have little experience with decorating and none when it comes to lining/wallpapering. I just had a decorator put lining paper in one of my bedrooms. I inspected the room after it was painted and it was full of bubbles. I know this may be normal but was hoping someone more experienced could have a look at the pictures and let me know what they think. Also the lines between the paper are too obvious and I think this is due to bad application. Below I attach some pictures on the day the wall was painted and also the day after. Most of the bubbles are gone thankfully but some lines are still visible and he probably didn't sand the wall properly and loads of bumps are still visible although he had promised a smooth finish. Am I being unreasonable in being unhappy?

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Wet paint

24 hours later - dry paint

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:37 am 

I can't actually see any of the pics, but a lined wall should just look like plaster once painted.

There should be no visible joins or bubbles once it's dried and painted.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:47 am 

I can see the pictures. I have not words to express what I think without my post getting the chop.

:welcomeuhm:

Welcome to the OP. Sorry, I am clueless about wallpapering but that does not pass even for me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:51 am 

That's a dreadful job.

It is fairly common to see a few bubble as the paper is drying but if they are still there the next day then it usually means he didn't let the paste soak into the paper for long enough before hanging it on the wall. The paper expands as it soak up the paste and then it stops expanding and then it can be hung. It looks like he didn't leave it long enough.

The gaps between the joins usually happen because he either didn't butt the joins together carefully enough or the paper shrank slightly after hanging. Was the room warm i.e. was the heating on? The gaps should have been filled with filler the next morning.

The rest of it ... well, it is just shoddy workmanship.

It looks like you have a silk finish - unfortunately, this will highlight the bumps and lumps a lot more than matt would, but it is still very shoddy work.

Have you paid him already?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:11 am 

Are you sure he was a pro decorator? I've had similar problems in the past and in the end I removed it as the finish would have been awful. I'm surprised the decorator was happy to leave it like that, very poor.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 8:19 am 
Newly registered Member

He is a professional yes. Whats surprising is that he's got 30 odd 5-star reviews on his facebook page and comments from hapy clients along with numerous pictures hence i'm very surprised with the result. For me there are 3 issues and i'm not sure what can be done about them now:

1. Very obvious lines. Probably these can be filled and repainted? Would that not look messy afterwards? I'm worried he'll make it worse.

2. Some remaining bubbles under the lining. I believe these can be filled and fixed from what i have read here

3. Various bumps that he didnt sand properly and there's nothing that can be done about it now. An example is under the socket in one of the pictures. This was a new socket and was plastered by the electrician. Even though he himself said he'll have to sand it down to make it smooth when questioned now he claimed the electrician did a bad job plastering though it doesnt seem he did anything to improve it. At the end of the day it was his job to prep the walls not the electricians

He has not been paid yet and we're meeting today to inspect together as he hasnt come back since he painted. I'll ask him to fixs points 1&2 above and if happy i will pay a discounted rate. I'm really dissapointed about the result and i will let it go to a small claims court if it has to get there. What would be your suggested course if action? Many thanks again.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:52 am 

If the gaps are filled the will need a light coat of watered down paint and then the whole wall (corner to corner) so the whole room will need repainting esp. as you got a paint with a sheen. Better to start again with someone else me thinks if you can stand the disagreement but if this was to end up in small claims court you would have had to have given him the chance to put it right.

Facebook, right on ::b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:23 am 

Quote:
Better to start again with someone else me thinks

I agree. He has already proved that he's not capable of doing a good job so any repairs wouldn't look any better.

I wouldn't pay him a penny. Explain to him that he has done such a poor job. Expect that he might want to take you to court. You already have some evidence showing why you are not prepared to pay him and I would also print off the stuff you saw on his Facebook page as that will show why you expected him to do a much better job.

I would never choose a tradesman based on his Facebook reviews as they can be made up by his friends and family. I have copies of customer testimonials on my website but I carry a file with the original letters with me when I go to do a quote. Likewise, I would never choose a tradesman based on those check-a-trader type websites as those reviews could also be made up.

Word of mouth is the best way to go. Ask neighbours who they've used and, more importantly, ask them if they would use them again.

EDIT: I forgot to say - as OchAye said, give him a chance to put it right because that will be a requirement before you go to court. Take lots more photos before he begins, tell him what you expect him to put right, put it in writing if you can, take lots of photos afterwards and. if it's still not good enough (ask us if you're not sure!) then refuse to pay him. In my opinion, the mess he has left can't be fixed so stripping the lining paper and starting again is the only option. If you tell him this last bit then he may just walk away without payment and then you can hire someone else. Make sure you document EVERYTHING as he probably won't bother to do that so that will give you an edge if it comes to court. And, print out the replies you got on here as evidence that you have had expert opinions that his work isn't good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:35 am 

chrisgr wrote:
He is a professional yes. Whats surprising is that he's got 30 odd 5-star reviews on his facebook page and comments from hapy clients along with numerous pictures hence i'm very surprised with the result. For me there are 3 issues and i'm not sure what can be done about them now:

1. Very obvious lines. Probably these can be filled and repainted? Would that not look messy afterwards? I'm worried he'll make it worse.

2. Some remaining bubbles under the lining. I believe these can be filled and fixed from what i have read here

3. Various bumps that he didnt sand properly and there's nothing that can be done about it now. An example is under the socket in one of the pictures. This was a new socket and was plastered by the electrician. Even though he himself said he'll have to sand it down to make it smooth when questioned now he claimed the electrician did a bad job plastering though it doesnt seem he did anything to improve it. At the end of the day it was his job to prep the walls not the electricians

He has not been paid yet and we're meeting today to inspect together as he hasnt come back since he painted. I'll ask him to fixs points 1&2 above and if happy i will pay a discounted rate. I'm really dissapointed about the result and i will let it go to a small claims court if it has to get there. What would be your suggested course if action? Many thanks again.

What worries me about people like this, is that if they can't do such a basic job in the first place, it's difficult to see how they're going to put it right.

I would just tell him you're not paying, keep the photos as evidence and don't let him anywhere near your property again.

This guy is like lots of others in our game. Can probably slap emulsion on but doesn't like paperhanging and has never learned to do it properly so neither confident or competent.

Pictures and referrals on social media are all well and good, but are they really pictures of his work? Are the ratings from genuine customers or his friends? Also how do you know that their expected standard and yours are at the same level? Some people will just put up with anything as long as it's freshened up.

Sounds like those pics are horrendous. If he gets awkward I'd be tempted to ask how he'd like it if you put them on facebook for all to see.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 12:38 pm 

Tom d'Angler wrote:
EDIT: I forgot to say - as OchAye said, give him a chance to put it right because that will be a requirement before you go to court. Take lots more photos before he begins, tell him what you expect him to put right, put it in writing if you can, take lots of photos afterwards and. if it's still not good enough (ask us if you're not sure!) then refuse to pay him. In my opinion, the mess he has left can't be fixed so stripping the lining paper and starting again is the only option. If you tell him this last bit then he may just walk away without payment and then you can hire someone else. Make sure you document EVERYTHING as he probably won't bother to do that so that will give you an edge if it comes to court. And, print out the replies you got on here as evidence that you have had expert opinions that his work isn't good enough.
Just what Tom said above.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:08 pm 

:love3:

For this message the author Tom d'Angler has received gratitude : OchAye
PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:16 pm 

Better get some clothes on or they will get us wrong :love4:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:56 pm 

I'm always ready.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:25 pm 

That is one if the worst lining jobs I have ever seen. Do not pay him a penny because you are going to have to pay a PROPER decorator to strip it all and start again!
Facebook is not the best way to find good quality tradesmen. Loads of chancers on there as you have found out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:47 pm 

I'm intrigued to see this lining paper. Can't open the pics on my phone. I'll have to fire up the pc! [SMILING FACE WITH OPEN MOUTH AND COLD SWEAT]