DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:16 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Light sabre season.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 10:55 am 

Hi,

WOW summer has arrived; we've already enjoyed two gorgeous warm sunny days and whilst in the workshop yesterday morning I thought this sunshine is too good to miss so after dinner I pulled my light sabre (power washer) from the shed. This is a Nilfisk 120 bar washer; I connected everything up and donned my wellies in anticipation but although the motor ran when switched on it refused to pump the water jet out then the motor cut out. A quick check on the web and I then removed the pressure hose allowing water at mains pressure to gurgle through then discharge priming the pump; then I connected the pressure hose and let the mains water pressure prime the hose; now it fired up and I spent the next three hours blasting.

What a tremendous difference now to see the paths and concrete driveway looking better than new; I love using the power washer feeling I have immense power over dirt but being so tall I have to bend which after three hours gave me back ache but it was worth it; I still have the path and steps the other side of the bungalow to blast but I'll let my back recover first.

A few days ago I dragged our petrol mower up the mountain and cut the grass at the very top of the garden for the first time this year; I was pleased the mower fired up on second pull because just reaching the top of the garden with it gives me a good workout. I always service the petrol garden machines before putting them away for winter.

With all the big jobs done to the bungalow after working on it for the last 30 years this year I need to install a new fence but I also plan to spend time at last in retirement pottering around a lot more in the workshop; I've been retired for the last 16 years but its been a lot of hard graft.

I bet I'm not on my own and many members will already be attacking the outside jobs. :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man
 Post subject: Re: Light sabre season.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:06 am 

Spot on Col.

I'm dragging the old Karcher out (real old model gifted to me years ago as a 'broken' unit that I repaired - jammed pressurisation module - and have used ever since).

The high pressure hose recently burst on me (got punctured) and I couldn't find a replacement for love nor money - well, money yes but prices so ridiculous that it wasn't even worth considering :lol: but found a dealer on eBay that sold pipe joining parts! It was only a couple of quid but, once I got the method of screwing them together properly sorted (it didn't come with instructions) it worked a treat and has lasted a year so far.

The car is in desperate need of it's bi-annual cleaning :lol: and Jo wants some rugs cleaned - not her own I may add - and it's easy-peasy to get things dried off in this weather.

Shame we can't drag it down to our 'beach' as there's a few areas that could do with some moss-blasting and we're keen to get the place sorted for summer BBQ's and passing fishing boats. We have long periods of cold, dark and damp weather and moss growth is a particular problem that needs a good week of pre-heat to even start to contemplate trying to shift. I'll post some pics of the beach area soon so you can see what I'm faced with. Chainsaw weather too :huray:

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 2: AAA.Handy.Man, Retired
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:19 pm 
BANNED

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCObZ6Kodi0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:48 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,
I love using the power washer feeling I have immense power over dirt but being so tall I have to bend which after three hours gave me back ache but it was worth it; I still have the path and steps the other side of the bungalow to blast but I'll let my back recover first.

You need a longer thingamybob for your light sabre Col: shouldn't be beyond your capabilities.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:02 pm 

Hi,

I was so keen to get into the workshop I forgot to post the pictures which I've now added below. :cb

Please note the Benjamin Moore paintwork which has just suffered its first winter standing up very well indeed.

Well done k_e; many things get dumped these days when all it would take is a bit of time and often little money to bring them back into service; most people buy the Karcher pressure washers possibly due to aggressive marketing by Karcher; I bought the Nilfisk because the price was reasonable and it was an 120 bar model. Once the pressure washer is out though its amazing what jobs can be found which need a good blasting. You'll soon be doing your Luke Skywalker impression? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I think I did most of our chainsaw work last year saving a big job this year; I also sorted out a water ingress problem into the garage saving having to do two big jobs this year so for once I'm well in front.

When I retired (?) 16 years ago the first two years were spent digging out tons of wet clay by hand allowing me to add the paths and patio; I also moved the dry stone walls away from the bungalow; this got rid of nine steps making access to our rear door so much easier; it was fun laying the heavy 3' x 2' flags on the slope; each time I tried to bed them they wanted to disappear down the valley; it sure was hard graft and a good introduction to lazy retirement.

Thanks AAA for the link; Bron and I started to watch The Wickerman years ago but found it to be not to our taste; we like the gentler things in life. :cheers:

Thanks ayjay; yes a lance extension would be useful to save me bending over; a big round patio cleaner came with the Nilfisk but I've never tried using it thinking it to be rather clumsy. :scratch:

Life is good; I've just enjoyed a bit of welding. :huray:

Kind regards, Col.

Attachment:
DSCN2615.JPG
DSCN2615.JPG [ 195.61 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN2616.JPG
DSCN2616.JPG [ 206.77 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]
Attachment:
DSCN2617.JPG
DSCN2617.JPG [ 235.97 KiB | Viewed 796 times ]

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:46 pm 

about the right time of year for me to get my light-sabre (Karcher) out again...

Some serious moss on the path up the side of the garage cum workshop.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:42 pm 

wine~o wrote:

.... garage cum workshop.

so THAT'S what you use it for......

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:44 pm 

kellys_eye wrote:
wine~o wrote:

.... garage cum workshop.

so THAT'S what you use it for......

:lol:

You have a filthy mind K-e... perhaps your mind needs a power wash... ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:46 pm 

It has been said...... it has.....

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:25 pm 
diesel demon

Retired wrote:
Hi,

WOW summer has arrived; we've already enjoyed two gorgeous warm sunny days and whilst in the workshop yesterday morning I thought this sunshine is too good to miss so after dinner I pulled my light sabre (power washer) from the shed. This is a Nilfisk 120 bar washer; I connected everything up and donned my wellies in anticipation but although the motor ran when switched on it refused to pump the water jet out then the motor cut out. A quick check on the web and I then removed the pressure hose allowing water at mains pressure to gurgle through then discharge priming the pump; then I connected the pressure hose and let the mains water pressure prime the hose; now it fired up and I spent the next three hours blasting.

What a tremendous difference now to see the paths and concrete driveway looking better than new; I love using the power washer feeling I have immense power over dirt but being so tall I have to bend which after three hours gave me back ache but it was worth it; I still have the path and steps the other side of the bungalow to blast but I'll let my back recover first.

A few days ago I dragged our petrol mower up the mountain and cut the grass at the very top of the garden for the first time this year; I was pleased the mower fired up on second pull because just reaching the top of the garden with it gives me a good workout. I always service the petrol garden machines before putting them away for winter.

With all the big jobs done to the bungalow after working on it for the last 30 years this year I need to install a new fence but I also plan to spend time at last in retirement pottering around a lot more in the workshop; I've been retired for the last 16 years but its been a lot of hard graft.

I bet I'm not on my own and many members will already be attacking the outside jobs. :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

Col, I would always advise letting the water through the machine prior to attaching outlet hose, less restrictive on the pump unit. Do you have the turbo nozzle? I can never remember if it's the tornado or the powerspeed nozzle but a great boost for patio cleaning, a rotating pencil jet as opposed to a fan jet.
If using a turbo nozzle always have it pointing down before pulling the trigger. The spinner is a rattling fit and will fall away from the ceramic seat when lifted beyond horizontal, if the trigger is pulled in this position then the spinner is fired at the seat and usually chips it rendering the nozzle useless.

Sent from my bl00dy phone

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 10:23 am 

I used to power wash the flagstones but found that it dislodged the cement in the joints leaving holes, which then needed repair and filling, so I changed my tactics yesterday (dry and sunny) and sprayed the green/black and brown algae/moss with Patio Magic. The label on the tin says it'll take 2-4 days and all will look as good as new again.
I've poured a beer and am watching...

If all else fails, use 6 inch nails