DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 2:32 pm
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:54 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I got planning permission to do a loft conversion. Then changed my mind on the cladding from tiles to raised seam metal cladding. It's all fitted to a high standard.

Now just got a letter from the council saying possibly breached planning permission. They have not said what the issue is but worried it was the cladding.

Never thought it would be an issue. Famous last words!

Am i screwed? Can I apply for retrospect changes?

Cheers

Tim

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:27 am 

If tiles where spec'd on the plans and passed inc building reg's that's what it needs tbh

This is going to sound harsh.

If you didn't ask the BCO and planning if you could change it and it wasn't amended, its tough luck and its your fault. communication is key

The council have every right to make you take down the extension especially if your in a conservation area

Call the BCO and find out what you need to do to correct the issue

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:56 am 
Newly registered Member

So i know it was a coms error. I went through a number of changes with the builders where one option was slate which does not look like tiles. The builders said they change stuff all the time.

Btw i did the cladding.

Next door neighbour neighbour had plans approved for a similar design so know there is no intrinsic design issue.

It's not a conservation area. The worst that could happen is tiles are hung on the out side of the metalwork.

I would not make it look pretty though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:29 pm 
BANNED

TimB100 wrote:
Hi

I got planning permission to do a loft conversion. Then changed my mind on the cladding from tiles to raised seam metal cladding. It's all fitted to a high standard.

Now just got a letter from the council saying possibly breached planning permission. They have not said what the issue is but worried it was the cladding.

Never thought it would be an issue. Famous last words!

Am i screwed? Can I apply for retrospect changes?

Cheers

Tim

On the face of it, there seems to be no reason why you can't apply for retrospective approval. According to our local News(?)Paper it seems to be a matter of course for a very large # of ppl - including one of our MPs who in having some 'security gates' fitted seemingly violated not only her un-requested Planning permission, etc but also aspects of a piece of 'Listed' building.
There was all H3LL let lose in the paper so I doubt that she was able to bring much personal or position influence to bear. Retro-PP was granted.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:53 pm 

You get away with changing slates to lookalike tiles etc,50 quid amendment but you have to run it past them and get it agreed. Everything you change from the submitted and passed drawings need going down this route. I think you'll be lucky if you get away with that roof covering tbh.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:23 pm 
Newly registered Member

Just an update. The council inspector came round and to start with just said put your plans in as is for a retrospective planning application.

Then she looked up out the back and asked to take a picture. :shock:

I did the work originally as neighbour had plans in for an even more adventurous cladding, I stupidly just did not think it through. It turns out that in all the paperwork online there was a letter from the planning dept said do not start until they knew exactly what the covering was and OKed it.

I'm sure they will turn it done as is, so aim to do a series of renders showing changes I can do. Changing to all clay tiles will not be one of them.