DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:20 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:45 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all.

Was hoping some kind soul could give us some advice installing a new radiator to the front room. Currently there is no radiator or fire in there we survived winter but now have a bit of cash to put one in.

We have a combi boiler in the garage, and already have 3 radiators downstairs, one just behind the front door, one in the kitchen and one in the conservatory. Im not familiar with central heating but like to have a go and have been doing a bit of reading up. I've followed the two 22mm pipe from the boiler in garage which I believe are the feed and returns which go straight upstairs and connect to the radiators in three bedrooms and a towel rail in bathroom. So 4 upstairs. Then there is 2 15mm pipes that come down the side of chimney breast and it tees off to go right across front room to front door radiator, there's another tee going off to conservatory radiator, before they go to the one in kitchen. Now what I wanted to do was tee off those two that go across the front room and put one under the window size wise 600x 1200. I asked a fella in b n q and he said it probably won't get hot enough if you do that, you need to find the 22mm pipe upstairs and tee off that and drop down the wall to your new radiator. Pain in the are but glad I found out before just doing it. The radiators we've got currently get red hot, so I'm thinking is it worth me trying it teeing it off them and if it doesn't work back tracking. I really don't want to drop down from upstairs we've just had the front room plastered (yes I know a bit backwards) so if I definitely have to come off the 22mm feed and return I'm more inclined to do it in the garage before it goes upstairs and get them under the floor into front room that way, is that a possibility? I've added a few pics.

If anyone can give us any advice it would be appreciated. Have considered getting a plumber out but the ones I've dealt with in the past want to run pipes along walls and it does my head in seeing them so I think I can do a neater tidier job myself if I first find out that it's going to work. Cheers.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Manchester_Lad has received gratitude : Thewindowguy
PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

My boiler is a Worcester Greenstar 28i junior. Downstairs we already have a 600x600 a 600x 1200 in the conservatory and a 600x300 behind the front door. Upstairs we have a 400x1200 times two and a 600x 600.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:48 pm 
Newly registered Member

Have done a bit more reading since and decided I'm going to just do it properly and come off the 22mm solely for this extra radiator. More pipe and more of a pain but less of a pain that trying the other way first then having to do it afterwards.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:50 pm 

Yes take it off the 22mm, you'll need to balance the system later.

Make sure you well lag the pipe under the floor and in exposed areas.