DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:35 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello everyone. About 2 months ago I noticed the paint on my bathroom walls started to blister, shortly after that the carpet in the hallway became quite wet to the point where there was a small patch near the bathroom doorway that was pretty much saturated. I called the plumber and he found a leak concerning the pipes behind the toilet. That was about a month ago. The walls are very water damaged but I think they are drying out, they are covered in salt deposits and are still really flaky but don't feel moist to touch anymore. However the strange thing is that the carpet in the hallway still periodically feels quite damp. I will lift the carpet, notice the tiled floor and nearby concrete is wet and let the air get to it for a few hours. Once it's dried I put the carpet back down and it feels dry for a few weeks, then all of a sudden the wetness can be felt through the carpet again, always in the same localised area.

The plumber seems confident there isn't an ongoing leak but if that's true why does the floor keep having water resurface on it. Is it that there's still a lot of water trapped underneath the concrete from the leak and the dampness is from periodic bursts of condensation rising to the surface?

I kept asking if it had anything to do with the outside of the house like rainwater getting in somehow, he didn't think that was likely. I've attached some pictures.

I really want to get on and think about repairing the walls but I don't know how long i'll have to wait for them to dry out or even if the leak is truely fixed. I've included some pictures so you can see. The floor is what worries me, there's not much water there and if I leave the carpet up like that it doesn't collect on the surface at all. I guess it evaporates before it has chance too.

Anyone able to shed some light? Thanks in advance.

Attachments:
20170304_194813.jpg
20170304_194813.jpg [ 69.69 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]
20170313_190447.jpg
20170313_190447.jpg [ 80.97 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]
20170313_190437.jpg
20170313_190437.jpg [ 170.47 KiB | Viewed 765 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:48 pm 

Looks fairly conclusively like something's still leaking to me. It seems far too wet to be rising damp from a failed membrane or DPC (although, I will, of course defer to anyone with more experience of rising damp than I have...)

What was the cause of the original leak? Was it pin-holed copper in a concrete floor or something else? Does the waste from that toilet exit through the wall or the floor?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your response. The day after I started this thread I decided to call another plumber to ask advice. He came round to the house and removed the bath panel. There he found a leaking pipe right at the back, towards the wall. It was just dripping but fairly fast, I think it must have gotten worse quickly because the house would be a lot more water damaged if it had been leaking like that for months. He fixed it today and now i'm just letting the concrete under the bath and on the floor dry out.

The water travelled in such an odd direction, because the boxing under the basin is dry even though it sits right next to the bath. It curved round it and followed the wall. Very odd. I hope that's the end of it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:19 pm 

Glad to hear the plumber was able to track down the cause.

The reason I asked if these leaks were traced to pin-holed copper (as opposed to, say, a leaking fitting) is that I'm guessing the installed pipework is roughly 1970s vintage from the photos you posted. There was a copper shortage in the 1970s and it's not that unusual to find poor quality copper pipe from this era. If the two leaks you've had recently were caused by pinholes in the pipework, then it's not unreasonable to assume the pipework has reached the end of it's useful life, and there may be more leaks in the future. In which case, you may want to think about having it all replaced.

Alternatively, if the two leaks are coincidental and caused by leaking fittings for example, then no dramas. I would definitely check with both plumbers what the cause of each leak was so that you can make an informed decision about what, if anything, to do next.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you. It's a relief to have it sorted. The majority of the pipes in the house are very old, it's an ex council house so they are probably about 30ish years. The leak in the toilet was caused by a condenser unit and the leak under the bath was a loose connector. No holes in the pipes themselves as far as I know.