DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:43 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi everyone, new here.

I had a boiler fitted by a cowboy, and as you can see from the pics the pipework and even wiring is terrible and looks like someone just did it from watching youtube videos for the first time lol.

As you can see from the images at the foot of this post, the pipe on the right is at a very bad angle and even overlaps the top of the doorframe. The plumber said they had to be like that as there are 2 horizontal pipes down the side of the boiler in the way, BUT there is a gap that is twice the width of the far right pipe between the pipes he said were in the way so i see no reason at all why that far right pipe had to be on the right?? Or am I missing something....

Anyway in you expert opinions what would be the best way of re routing the pipes? Just move the far right pipe and call it a day, or redo the whole thing? Or add a back plate/jig and pipe them all behind the boiler?

Also there are very large gaps behind all of the pipes at the top where they go horizontal meaning there is no need to move any pipes to re route others as they will all fit behind each other before going vertically down, they are only flat against the wall when they come down the wall, he literaly just piped them straight from the boiler to the side wall at an angle, same at the bottom. I will add pics of the top better if i can later on.

P.S ignore the bad painting that was me, figured the paint easily wipes off the pipes so no need to be tidy lol.

My landlord wants a few opinions so i figured this would be a good way to get them.

Thanks to anyone that replies, quotes also welcome from anyone in Hull.

Thanks
Dave

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm no plumber but that looks dreadful. I don't think I've ever seen so bad. Is that your kitchen?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

For this message the author Christian_Booth has received gratitude : DAVER0280
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:19 pm 

Wow that is bad. I'm a handyman and my pipework is much better than that.

Did the guy give you a certificate for that? Did you check he was gas safe registered?

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

For this message the author Ktuludays has received gratitude : DAVER0280
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:23 pm 

Again. I'm not a plumber, but the joints all look overfed with solder to me.

For this message the author Dave54 has received gratitude : DAVER0280
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:29 pm 

and nice easy access to the filling loop by the looks of it.

As said do you have the certificates for the installation ? Did you see the installers "gas safe certification" ??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : DAVER0280
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes, he was fully registered but that means nothing nowadays and is pretty meaningless as you can go on a very short course and come out fully registered despite having only done things once or twice, , plenty of them about, short and cheap, rare anyone fails so pretty much guaranteed to pass. But yes, i checked his number via the gassaferegister it was genuine.

OK so just looked in to these courses, if you have a plumbing qualification already you need to do a 3 week course and then 6 weeks on site training then an exam, cost's under 5k. Considering some people study for years at university for various jobs, I would have thought becoming a gas engineer would be harder lol.

https://www.ableskills.co.uk/gas-training-courses/gas-engineer-training/

P.S yes it is the kitchen.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:16 pm 

DAVER0280 wrote:
Yes, he was fully registered but that means nothing nowadays and is pretty meaningless as you can go on a very short course and come out fully registered despite having only done things once or twice, , plenty of them about, short and cheap, rare anyone fails so pretty much guaranteed to pass. But yes, i checked his number via the gassaferegister it was genuine.

OK so just looked in to these courses, if you have a plumbing qualification already you need to do a 3 week course and then 6 weeks on site training then an exam, cost's under 5k. Considering some people study for years at university for various jobs, I would have thought becoming a gas engineer would be harder lol.

https://www.ableskills.co.uk/gas-traini ... -training/

P.S yes it is the kitchen.

Raise your concerns with gas safe,surely the work has to comply with their standards.
He needs struck off.

The course you've linked to only says it prepares you to go for the gas safe course. It also says you need plumbing qualifications to do the course. It's worthless and not a course making you gas safe registered.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:46 pm 

steviejoiner74 wrote:
Raise your concerns with gas safe,surely the work has to comply with their standards.

If there aren't any gas escapes and the installation complies Gas Safe won't get involved no matter what it looks like.

I wonder how much the landlord paid for that beauty??

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

To Stevejoiner, if you read the link again in full you will see you are incorrect and missunderstand what being on the gas safety register means. That course is a full course which ends in the person being ACS qualified and able to apply to be on the gas safety register, which is not a course. There is no such thing and never has been, as a gas registration safety course, and no qualifications at all are needed to be gas safe registered other than the ACS, which that course gives you. If you don't believe me check out the gas safe registers official site, all you need is the ACS. That course gives you your ACS and the ACS lets you be Gas safe registered, that really is all there is too it. You pay the gas safety people £362 and they stick you on the register, you renew it every year and it is probationary to begin with.

It says on the gas safe site, ACS is only available for experienced gas engineers. By "Experienced" they mean "Has completed an ACS course and done 6 weeks of on the job training. Shockingly the gas safe people will alllow you to start working on people gas appliances unsupervised right away regardless of whether you pass their probationary period or not, all you need is the ACS. There are further courses, for example fitting a boiler etc is a seperate course you can do once you have the ACS, but again it does not take long.

Yes i know you need to be a plumber to do that course, that is what i wrote, a plumbing qualification is very easy to get and the only reason you need one is, ironically, to demonstrate you can work with pipes, hahahha. No idea how he passed that but he did :) I guess whilst you are on the 6 week course you have someone with yo, so can't do rush jobs, but once that is up you just go self employed and do what you like. Many many horror stories online of bad boiler fittings, pipework etc, they are probably gas safety registered aswell lol.

Anyway the point is, he was registered as are many other cowboys. Being registered does not mean you know how to do things properly, you should in theory know but the amount of on the job time required to get an ACS is simply not enough IMO, it should be 2 years.

Last edited by DAVER0280 on Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Show him the comments on here, there is no way I would live with that in my kitchen. Is that new copper, it looks pretty old?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes the pipes he did are about 3 yrs old now, but some he reused some off the old boiler so those ones are over a decade old. Ive been living with it for 3 years landlord has now seen it and wants it redoing on my suggestion.