DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:16 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi All

Just after a bit of advice on the best way forward to put a new toilet in nearer the centre of the room- approx 12 inches from the centre of the soil pipe as it is now. As you can see in the photos the old toilet was originally quite close to the outside wall which has all the plumbing for a vanity unit. I've hastily removed the old toilet but since then I've read that its a bit of a no-no to remove the collar which I've already done. There is I believe a 4 inch clay pipe now exposed. I was careful that no debris fell down the pipe and as far as I can see there is no visible damage to the pipe further down. The clay pipe pretty much immediately sweeps to the left towards where I want the new toilet to go. Looking at the photo there is an external wall to the right and the wall to the rear is solid brick too. There is a drain at the side of our house not outside the exterior wall in the photo but back in the direction of the entrance door to the toilet room.

The room is a toilet room at the front of 1900 terrace. Ground floor with concrete floor. 1.3m x 2m.

Is digging up the concrete the way to go or building a false wall at the back of the room to hide connections from a wall hung toilet to the old soil pipe?

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Attachments:
IMG_0939.JPG
IMG_0939.JPG [ 94.15 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_0938.JPG
IMG_0938.JPG [ 142.71 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_0935.JPG
IMG_0935.JPG [ 129.57 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_0846.JPG
IMG_0846.JPG [ 88.82 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_0845.JPG
IMG_0845.JPG [ 97.81 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
IMG_0839.JPG
IMG_0839.JPG [ 73.53 KiB | Viewed 1344 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:00 pm 
Newly registered Member

Build a false wall if you have room otherwise it looks like your new digging the concrete up.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:42 pm 

I don't know where or why you were told not to remove the collar - that's exactly the right thing to do. They look as ugly as sin, and most modern close-coupled toilets won't give enough clearance to fit around a big lump of sand & cement, so they have to go. A standard 90deg pan connector will push into the clay pipe, no probs.

If it's at all feasible, then building a false wall or boxing in will be a lot quicker, easier, cheaper, and less messy than digging the floor up. But if you do go down that route, you can cut the clay pipe somewhere suitable in the ground, squarely with an angle grinder, and use one of these to join it to 110mm brown PVCu. You will need to use a rest bend rather than an elbow so you'll need to trash quite a big section of the floor to get it in. I hope you've got a strong back!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 6:57 pm 

i came across a simillar problem in a mates house and built a false wall but left it low so it could be used as a shelf. topped it off with a bit of oak. looks mint like

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : crumpy
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:24 pm 

:withstupid:

Must admit, I'd rather build a false wall any day of the week. Digging 'oles is hard work!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:30 pm 

Just to add if you have a decent independent bathroom supplier then there are "close coupled" pans available with 12 inches from wall to center of soil.. I had to fit one recently where the tiles were still in good condition but the pan was cracked.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : crumpy
PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

Many thanks and apologies for the late reply. I'm going down the route of building a small stud wall, to hide the cistern and waste pipe connection. Topped with some nice wood for a shelf as suggested.