DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:09 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Cracks in Sandstone wall
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello, first post here so hope i got the images correct.

Im looking at buying a house, lot of work needing done, but the main issue, and one which i have the least clue about is cracks down the pointing on the gable end.
The chimney head is damaged and leaking, and the gable wall has been weakened due to this, according to the home report.

On viewing it, it looks fairly bad with 2 cracks from top to bottom, one down the concealed chimney, and one to the right hand side of it.

Maybe not the best of pictures for showing something like this, but im really just looking for rough opinions/thoughts.

Attachment:
WP_20170211_003.jpg
WP_20170211_003.jpg [ 330.54 KiB | Viewed 587 times ]

Attachment:
1sized.bmp
1sized.bmp [ 2.31 MiB | Viewed 587 times ]

I think the cracks are simply caused by water running down via the damaged chimney head and where pointing is missing on the wallhead coping.

If its not structural, as in foundations sinking/building falling over, is it as simple as just repointing and replacing the one or two small missing blocks?

edit- I should say, i am considering going back for a second look with someone more experienced in this work. Just thought it would be interesting to see others first impressions on it.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:30 pm 
BANNED

:welcomeuhm:

1.0 Approx date of build of the house, please?

2.0 Are there other houses very nearby of the same age which you can look / have looked at to compare to see if it's a common type of 'fault'?

3.0 You say that you're ''looking to buy'' the house - full structural survey?

4.0 Is the 'mortgage' provider satisfied with the property, or have they imposed large retentions on certain structural aspects?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:41 pm 
Newly registered Member

1. About 1900

2. One pretty similar across the road, although it has been mantained much better and the stonework is much tidier, so nothing shows on it.

3. Just viewing at the moment, looking for a renovation project. Could get a survey if i go further, but the cracks are the only thing that really concern me, as i know everything else is pretty much in need of replacement.

4. Its a cash only one. No mortgage due to the condition of the interior. No kitchen, mould/damp everywhere,woodworm,no bathroom,rotting flooring, plaster lathe falling off the ceilings. You name it, its got it. :wink:
Think its lay empty for several years, and doesnt seem like was mantained much before that either.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:55 pm 
BANNED

:thumbleft: ...... :thumbright:

Great to 'meet' someone who's done their research in the methodical way you're doing.
Looks like a complete gutting.
Roof off if there's that amount of rot and woodworm?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yeah, its basically just starting from scratch on the inside.
The home report notes "Signs of woodworm on joists and roof trusses", but i couldnt get under the floor or into the attic myself to see how bad, so im just going on the assumption and allowing a price accordingly of replacing all the joists.

The roof is the original slate, which actually seems in reasonable condition for its age, though no underlay. Theres no water coming in from above, although through a convenient hole in the plaster lathe with my torch, it did look a bit damp up there.The timber i could see looked in reasonable condition, but was hard to say.

Id be retiling it anyway, and probably allow enough for replacement of trusses just incase it is bad. Though if i was going that far, i wonder if it'd be worth trying to get permission to increase the pitch of roof and get attic trusses in to create an upstairs. :dunno:

May all be academical anyway. I think theres a fair bit of interest in it, and being that im allowing extra for things "just in case" i probably would be outpriced when putting in an offer, if i do.

My biggest thing is the stonework. Even in other things that i have little experience in, i can still get a rough cost for materials etc and take an educated guess at it. But i have no idea as to what would be involved in the stonework.

If its as simple as repointing, well its just materials and my time. If its needing the chimney repaired/removed and the stonework sorted out, i have no idea what that would cost. Probably going back this week with someone for a second opinion on the cause, and then go from there. Although i suspect it may be sold by this time next week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:25 pm 
BANNED

Grigs wrote:
May all be academical anyway. I think theres a fair bit of interest in it, and being that im allowing extra for things "just in case" i probably would be outpriced when putting in an offer, if i do.

More well observed items - and a valid point about realistic pricing of the property.
I go to a # of Farm auctions - not to buy buildings, land nor animals, but for other items. It never ceases to amaze me how ppl will pay more for a 2nd hand item than the retail price for a new one with a guarantee.
And when it comes to 'houses' on which they've set their hearts which are being auctioned - OMG... :cb
Quote:
Although i suspect it may be sold by this time next week.

Then it will be interesting to know just how much more than your realistic price the purchaser will have paid.
Tho' if it's someone 'in the business' they will have their own 'team' which gives them a better RoI than for a private individual who has to employ contractors.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:02 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yeah, i think theres a decent profit to be made on it even with me allowing extra for possible problems, but going against people with more experience/knowledge, they will have a better idea of costs so can afford a higher offer. And going against people with less experience and/or who just like the house and arent looking to make a profit, they would probably put a higher offer.

But who knows. Its one of those ones where if i do win it, i'll be paranoid and think i either paid too much or noone else wanted it :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 3:50 pm 
BANNED

Yes, I know that feeling well.
It's a close relative of the Impostor syndrome from which many famous +/ highly qualified ppl suffer. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impostor_syndrome
Tho' some, it has been argued, really are imposters.
Ruby Wax in her latest, £20 a seat in huge auditoriums, manifestation as a Mental Health thru' Mindfulness champion, might just be one?
But I digress.
Good fortune in your endeavours.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 7:15 pm 

you wood have to rip it out to a shell before starting again.
theres a tree near the gable.
the pics of cracked stuuffare everyday stuff in the building trade.
scaff would be up anyway.
its a total job i love douig them,great for the guy doing it but expensive for the guy paying