It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:59 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi guys !

Been a while on here, so here goes....

I'm building a stud wall with a door casing to fit a 726x2040 mm door

I'm using 60x37mm stud and I'm a bit confused on a couple of things...

Firstly, do I need a gap between the upright stud and door casing or I can I fix directly to each other with no gap ?

I've got to build a small stud wall first, approx 6-8 inches, then the main stud wall off that at a right angle if you understand what I mean...not sure how the last stud upright off the small wall Will attach to the first stud upright off the main wall ?

Lastly...Will 60mm x 4s screws be sufficient for screwing the whole lot together !

Thanking you most gladly !

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:21 pm 

studmuffin wrote:

That's probably 762 - (but not important: until you set it out wrong). :wink:

Firstly, do I need a gap between the upright stud and door casing or I can I fix directly to each other with no gap ?

If your studs are perfectly straight and you can fix them perfectly plumb and fit noggins without putting a bow in the studs then no gap is necessary, I nearly always leave a small gap with timber studs.

I've got to build a small stud wall first, approx 6-8 inches, then the main stud wall off that at a right angle if you understand what I mean...not sure how the last stud upright off the small wall Will attach to the first stud upright off the main wall ?

You could fix it together however you like but it's not going to offer any support to the main studwork. I may not be understanding the question here.
:scratch:

Lastly...Will 60mm x 4s screws be sufficient for screwing the whole lot together !

70mm X 5 would be better, but so would galvanised nails. It depends on the timber to some extent, some of that cls is pretty dry and splits easily

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/

Come and see me and/or my friends and our work at venue 62.

http://www.hampshireopenstudios.org.uk/ ... ty-friends

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:27 pm 
Newly registered Member

ayjay wrote:
studmuffin wrote:

That's probably 762 - (but not important: until you set it out wrong). :wink:

If your studs are perfectly straight and you can fix them perfectly plumb and fit noggins without putting a bow in the studs then no gap is necessary, I nearly always leave a small gap with timber studs.

You could fix it together however you like but it's not going to offer any support to the main studwork. I may not be understanding the question here.
:scratch:

70mm X 5 would be better, but so would galvanised nails. It depends on the timber to some extent, some of that cls is pretty dry and splits easily

Definitely 726mm door...

When you say you leave a gap...how big is the gap ? Have read that some people leave a 20mm gap and pack it out where they fix it to the stud.

Also what extra height do I need when I fix the top of the door casing to the stud directly above it ?
It's to fit a 2040mm door height.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:49 am 

Just trying to learn from this Q>
quote: "I've got to build a small stud wall first, approx 6-8 inches, then the main stud wall off that at a right angle if you understand what I mean...not sure how the last stud upright off the small wall Will attach to the first stud upright off the main wall ?"
Would one end not overlap the other by 50% leaving 50% for fixing the board, or if not use some blocks behind the upright and screw or nail to both (rather than use a steel bracket ?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:22 am 

I agree with all ayjay methods(I leave 10mm width and height for frame)

@studmuffin. You don't need to fix the head of the frame to the studwork,hinge and closing side is ample.