DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:03 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Filling Ceiling Cracks
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

I have a bathroom ceiling to decorate. There are smallish cracks to fill, which may be plasterboard joins. What is best flexible filler to use prior to painting? Thanks.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am 

If they are plasterboard joints they will overall form straight(ish) lines. Or you might have paint curling up flacking.

If you have plasterboard joint cracks you have two options.
a. Use an elastic filler e.g. Toupret Fibacryl (which sounds like acrylic with fibres which sounds like caulk with things inside it). I have it and I have not used it yet but I believe it may be difficult to get a good finish.

b. use a toupret extra/ultra(???)fine scrim tape (exact example in this picture). You are supposed to open the crack a bit, remove loose material, fill, paint and put the tape over the length woth the wet paint and paint over it or something like that ... the paint will help stick it to the surface and hide it. The paint does not in practice hide it so you have to fill over it with a wide filling/jointing knife a couple of times. It worked were I used it but there is not much movement in that ceiling.

There is also plasterboard standard jointing tape (similar idea to the fine/ultra fine stuff) but that certainly needs filling over and wide enough to hide it and the bump. Or if the cracks are indeed small take a chance that they may not reappear and just use your filler of choice.

First you need to figure out if you got joint cracks or just flacking paint.

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Treetops
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:29 pm 
Newly registered Member

Och Aye. Brilliant advice, many thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a plasterboard join crack, but not a really bad one, just cracking paint. I may give the tape a go. Cheers.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:34 pm 

Treetops wrote:
Och Aye. Brilliant advice, many thanks. I'm pretty sure it's a plasterboard join crack, but not a really bad one, just cracking paint. I may give the tape a go. Cheers.

I would also advise checking to ensure the plaster boards are totally secure against the joists as I have a had a few jobs where the builders short changed the fixings or over driven in the screws so when the cracks were filled they reappeared even though I had taped them and feathered off with gyproc easifill. I solved it by running extra screws in along the joint line both sides and redoing the filling job. So when I find cracks along joint lines I now pay close attention to this before just using the appropriate filler.