Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:03 pm 

Hi,

Just a quick update to say it only seems two minutes since Razor installed our new Intergas combi boiler but a year has now passed and Razor has visited us to carry out the annual service. Razor was his usual brilliant self and the boiler as expected simply couldn't be better.

I'm still as impressed as ever by the sheer simplicity of the Intergas boiler it having so few parts to go wrong; so far its never missed a beat and quietly does its job located in the garage; whilst I work in the garage I never notice the boiler is running and given the weather on our valley side the boiler runs a lot.

I'm nosy and chatted to Razor whilst the boiler was being serviced and Razor very kindly explained and demonstrated what he was doing whilst also pointing out the many merits of the boiler as to design and construction. I'm no boiler expert but I was interested and something totally new to me is how the burner is activated; no Thermo-Couple? If I understand correctly on this Intergas a small AC electrical charge is passed through the flame and this if the flame is present is converted to a DC electrical charge which is then detected; (I understand rectification from my vintage radio days) if the DC is not present then the boiler will not ignite; really clever stuff.

Intergas has now brought out a new boiler design and I know Razor was very keen to pull one apart which he might have done by now.

Razor is excellent company and with the boiler now fully serviced for another trouble free year we wandered over to the Lorch Schmidt lathe where I could demonstrate the workings of the lathe covering basic safety and lathe operation; what a lovely day. :huray:

Bron and I can highly recommend Razor and Intergas boilers. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author Retired has received thanks - 4: gas4you, PLB, Razor, sweet
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:52 pm 

Any news on the release date for the new boiler ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:14 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for asking wine~o. I'm unaware of release date of the new Intergas boilers but I'm aware of their existence; I'm sure Razor will post details once he has the facts. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:17 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for asking wine~o. I'm unaware of release date of the new Intergas boilers but I'm aware of their existence; I'm sure Razor will post details once he has the facts. :thumbleft:

Kind regards, Col.

Thanks Col... I just thought you and Razor being such good buddies that Razor might have let something slip...... :lol:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:38 pm 

Thanks for your update Colin.
Razor visited us in November last year for our annual Intergas service.
We also had a very interesting and informative chat. :-)
Ours is 5 years old now and is working very well. :thumbright:

For this message the author PLB has received thanks - 2: Razor, Retired
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:56 pm 

wine~o wrote:
Retired wrote:
Hi,

Kind regards, Col.

Thanks Col... I just thought you and Razor being such good buddies that Razor might have let something slip...... :lol:

I have to sign the official secrets act when Razor visits me. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:01 pm 

Hi,

I sincerely hope I haven't let something slip but I'm sure it wasn't a secret; had I been party to a confidence then no way would I have said anything.

One thing is certain; Intergas boilers are taking off in the UK and rightly so in my opinion; Razor is such a top Intergas installer but unfortunately he cannot be everywhere; as long as the Intergas boilers are installed into a clean system they should give many trouble free years of service; I would be wary of a DIY Intergas boiler installation because water supply pressure is important as is cleanliness; our system was very clean indeed and didn't require flushing so the installation was straightforward; during the installation Razor was here a full day and didn't depart until 10pm with three inches of snow on his van after an hard days graft; full credit to Razor for a job well done.

Kind regards, Col. :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 pm 

Sorry Colin, it’s just us having a bit of fun. :oops:
There is indeed a new boiler being released soon and it’s no secret. :thumbright:
As you say no doubt Razor will update us all when he has the information.
Alway’s find your post’s interesting and informative Colin and agree with your positive comments regarding Intergas and Razor. :-)

For this message the author PLB has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:18 am 

Hi,

You little tinker you PLB. :huray:

Razor must be the best Intergas ambassador in the UK because he lives and sleeps Intergas between bacon butties. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Intergas has designed their combi boiler eliminating the cause of most boiler break downs so why do other boiler manufacturers still make boilers the way they do unless they of course make more profit from all the breakdowns; our previous Ideal Isar was a nightmare; with the Ideal we needed a resident boiler engineer and not one of the engineers liked working on the Ideal. :pukeleft:

Just paying the British Gas insurance on our Ideal boiler meant we could afford a brand new Intergas boiler every five years; so far so good with our Intergas boiler and both Bron and I have every confidence in it as of course we have in Razor who also services it. :salute:

Kind regards, Col.

For this message the author Retired has received gratitude : PLB
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:26 pm 

Got chatting to a fella in the pub on the way home tonight and he was telling me he'd had an intergas boiler fitted today and pointed out that they have fewer parts ergo fewer parts to fail. I couldn't add much to the conversation beyond advising being careful of plumbers selling certain boilers because it's in their interest but having read this thread by Col and knowing that they're respected by Razor I'm assured that the guy has made a good choice. Thanks for sharing Col.

The Barman says, "I'm sorry, we don't serve time travellers". This time traveller walks into a bar.

For this message the author Chop has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:27 am 

Hi,

Thanks Chop.

http://www.intergasheating.co.uk/installer/category/combi-compact-eco-rf/

For those new to Intergas I've added a link above. Bron and I had never heard of Intergas until I saw Intergas mentioned on the forum and started to look into it. With our previous Ideal Isar boiler being such a load of rubbish and costing around £300 per year on a British Gas service plan we were fed up of breakdowns; on one breakdown British Gas was here three days running; credit to British Gas they always arrived quickly and did a good job but the engineers didn't like working on the Isar boiler. Had we kept the Isar I'm sure we would have ended up with a British Gas engineer moving in with us permanently. Hardly a week passes that British Gas are not on our street at neighbours houses.

Bron and I have no connection with Intergas other than being customers; Razor has visited us twice and is now considered a trusted friend. :thumbleft:

It's extremely important to have an Intergas boiler professionally installed by an Intergas Platinum installer then the warranty is fully validated. I'm unsure but I think the new model Intergas boiler is the Combi Compact ECO RF? I'm sure Razor will be happy to update regarding the new model in due course.

Having previously suffered so much trouble with the Isar due to heat exchanger and diverter valve etc it wasn't a difficult decision to go the Intergas route as Intergas boilers don't suffer these breakdowns so Intergas have lots less to go wrong.

Cost wise; the Intergas boiler was much cheaper installed than we expected getting it off to a good start. Running costs obviously will vary with usage but Bron and I are both fully retired and home full time; we never have holidays away from home but we do like to be warm so our boiler really does get a lot of use; we turn it off at night but if the outside temperature drops below 5C then it automatically switches on. We pay our gas bill quarterly and have never switched from British Gas and we don't bother playing around with standing orders so our gas bill is as basic as it gets and we've just paid our latest gas bill at £298 this being a winter period so we are happy and not complaining; the bill is reasonable and we are always warm and cozy. We simply can't be bothered with switching after all how can all the suppliers be cheaper than each other; life's too short to be penny pinching on something as basic as keeping warm; a bonus now is that with the Yeti sleeping out the boiler keeps the garage at a temperature where I only need to run the fan heater on low setting to work comfortably in the garage; I've always garaged our car meaning that each time I wanted to work in the garage I had to pull the car out and the heat came out with the car; years ago I dumped the up and over garage door and made and installed a pair of side hung doors which are a joy to use allowing me to pop in and out of the garage without having to throw up the up and over door; a few small changes can have such a big impact on comfort.

As usual I've rambled on but for anyone considering a boiler change I would suggest having a good look at Intergas boilers; you pay your money and make your choice but a few members now have Intergas boilers installed and are happy with them. :cheers:

Above is a YouTube demo video and this looks like the new boiler Razor was describing to me it being all singing all dancing with wi-fi etc; no I don't want a job with Intergas I'm much too busy being retired. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:58 am 

I'm almost to embarrassed to reply to this one :oops:

Thanks for the comments guys they are very appreciated.

Aero I do have a vested interest as I work directly for Intergas, however I fitted the boilers for almost ten years before that and barring some customer service issues under the old management they've been fantastic. I could've got a cards in job with most manufacturers but there was only one choice for me!

Yes I've seen and stripped the new boiler although we weren't really supposed to touch it. Couldn't run it because they deliberately left a bit out to stop us doing it before the official training but I may have bypassed things a little to get things chooching.

It looks awesome - the existing model that Colin has is still probably the best all round boiler on the market despite it being a 9 year old design which is based on a hex developed 20 years ago.
Just about the only component that's carried over from the old boiler is the gasvalve.

They've addressed most of the issues installers don't like as well. The flue is now central, built in expansion vessel, combined condensate and prv discharge and almost certainly an option for a built in filling loop etc there's an unreal amount of insulation in there. with the fan and pump running it's almost impossible to tell things are running even standing next to it.

Built in bluetooth and wifi capability so not only can you control it from a smart phone your installer can look at it from anywhere to check the parameters and see how it's doing - if it does ever break down they'll get an alert before you even know it's happened!

Oh and they may test things differently in Holland but it gained an efficiency of 122% when independently tested, can't wait until it's tested over here to see how it compares - the combi is almost certainly going to be the most efficient for hot water in the world!!

They haven't released any dates yet but I would guess at May before we get the full UK options and the second one in the country is going into my house :mrgreen:

At the moment Colin the ECO RF is the range topper - it was ERP compliant in 2012, three years before most boilers.

The new models will be called the Intergas Extreme, we also have a couple of dedicated water heaters coming out this year and possibly another much smaller boiler by the end of the year!

For you engineering fans - it's a bit 90's and cheesy music but it shows you why the heat exchanger is so different. It's based on car engine block technology

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

For this message the author Razor has received thanks - 2: PLB, Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:53 pm 

Really enjoyed that vid razor, really good, I'm wb through and through but if I ever fitted a non wb boiler, might now think of ig. Glad your happy with your install op, I ve always said it's not the boiler it's the installer
Well done razor

For this message the author salfordpaul has received thanks - 2: Razor, Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:06 pm 
Newly registered Member

lovely experience for you Colin. Just read through your website, your a man if character for sure...

I also install the impressive Intergas combi, also the heat only version is bullet proof & doubt razor goes out to many breakdowns on these...

For this message the author sweet has received thanks - 2: Razor, Retired
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:10 pm 

Hi S, shame you couldn't get up in time for breakfast the other morning :wink: :lol:

We are the fastest growing make in the uk and we seem to have really turned the corner this year, clients, installers and merchants are coming to us to ask about the boilers instead of us chasing.

Reliability? We now have around 195,000 boilers in the U.K. And up until two weeks ago there were 5 guys on the breakdown team although it's being expanded to a dozen or so before next winter and we still managed to get to breakdowns in under 48 hours on average.

Personally I'm looking forward to smaller patches, I've done 74k in 17 months but that's mostly because I'm sent to all the tricky ones :wink:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html