DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:28 pm 

Had a pamphlet come from some "energy saving" company this morning saying that they can fit a new oil boiler for free, and they "hadn't heard back from me" after their last letter. Well no they hadn't as I usually put stuff like that in the bin. :roll:

So anyway I thought I'd have a look into it a bit, and I found out about this "ECO" scheme. So far so good. It appears that, yes, I possibly / probably could get a new free oil boiler.

Now there is always some snag surely? You just know that these firms are in it to make money, so where is the catch?
I always have a damn good look in the mouth of any gift horse to make sure it's not a white elephant. . .

Our oil boiler is getting a bit long in the tooth, I did some research on the best one to get a while back and ended up more or less deciding on a Hounsfield.

I'd assume that these "free" installers fit their own preferred types of boiler, which probably won't be my choice. I can see a few people online who are saying that they have had gas boilers replaced under the scheme for types that seem less than popular with the gas boiler engineers, and that they are now facing large repair bills. :shock:

I haven't contacted any of them yet, basically because I don't want to have to listen to the endless sales talk that I know I will get.

Any thoughts, experiences etc? :-)

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:03 pm 
Pro Carpenter

unless you are a pensioner or on means tested benefits close to zero chance off it being to your benefits in my opinion :dunno:
http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/family/grant-grabbing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:19 pm 

To be honest mate that's the first thing I thought. I've binned the pamphlet now as there are loads of these offers online, but it did say it wasn't means tested or relied on benefits.
(Actually the pamphlet and the letter contradicted themselves on that. It seems to be difficult to get to the truth TBH)

Thing is I know I'm a cynic, but I don't really trust these companies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:55 pm 
Pro Carpenter

purely a sales call in my opinion with no connection to any grants or the government :dunno:
the money saving expert i linked to are fairly impartial

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:13 pm 

Cheers BA. That was my original feeling, that it's sales stuff. Them checking they've got all the leads they can. Looking online just at a place that offers the same sort of deal, it looks as if it's for people on benefits. Which is fair enough.

I'd already had a look on MSE :thumbright:

Anyway, like I said, I want a particular boiler. They can cost a lot after a few years if they start going wrong.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:56 pm 

Some of them are genuine. I can't recall the exact figures but energy company's have to spend something like 20% of their profits on energy saving schemes. If they don't they get fined double that.

Ask them to send details of the scheme in writing before committing to a visit. What have you to lose except some of your time.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : Dave54
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:06 pm 
Pro Carpenter

Argyll wrote:
Some of them are genuine. I can't recall the exact figures but energy company's have to spend something like 20% of their profits on energy saving schemes. If they don't they get fined double that.

Ask them to send details of the scheme in writing before committing to a visit. What have you to lose except some of your time.

they tend to be very strict with the criteria at first then as the year goes on they relax the criteria if its undersubscribed to comply with there quotas but that only ever works on the bottom end like cavity wall or loft insulation as far as i know as theres a reluctance to take it up where as central heating will always be oversubscribed
i checked in for a new boiler for a pensioner about 5 years ago and if you make the mistake off choosing the wrong description from "does your boiler work [a] yes [b]can it be repaired [c] expensive to repair [d] beyond economic repair he wouldnt get help
started the year at D and later C to qualify with a few months on B but never if you had a functioning system or where not on means tested benefits or a pension