DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:42 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:33 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

We live in an old cottage which currently has an old inefficient heating and water system, which we are looking to replace. It does have central heating, but we are quite remote and the mains water pressure is rubbish - the hot water pressure, almost non-existent!

So we currently have;

- oil boiler in the kitchen
- large hot water tank in a big airing type cupboard under the stairs
- a small tank upstairs in a cupboard which feeds the large tank downstairs as and when hot water is used - this is mains fed with a ball valve in it.
- a header tank up in the loft.

It is a small house and there isn't a great deal of distance or height between the tank in the cupboard and the large tank under the stairs. At the moment we only have a downstairs bathroom.

As above, currently our cold water pressure is - okay, but far from anything special. For example we have an electric shower in the downstairs bathroom which is pretty rubbish! Our hot water pressure is terrible. Takes at least 15 mins to run the bath, and the tap in the kitchen takes ages to fill the sink.

What I would like to know, is in an ideal world, what would people do to improve the system. We are just about to do an extension, take the boiler out (and the tank) so we have a bit of a blank canvas. We will be putting in a bathroom upstairs, and I want to ensure is that the water pressure (especially the hot) is strong enough to take it. Previously in our old house we had a much more powerful system and we had an aqualisa quartz shower which was really good - but the plan is to put a bit waterfall shower in so I just wanted to try to plan and budget what we need to allow.

Someone mentioned a megaflo to me before and that then you can get rid of all the tanks or something? Not sure how that works - or if in fact its worth getting a pump on the mains as it comes in so the cold and hot is better..

Decisions decisions..

Thanks in advance.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:44 pm 

Can't answer all your questions I'm afraid, but if you haven't checked already, make sure your stop tap(s) are open properly. The water comes across two fields here, and flow was pretty bad. SWW came out and "found" their stop for us. It wasn't fully open so opening it helped, but they also decided to replace it which helped still more. Worth checking whatever. Feed pipe to the property may be old, small, corroded or even leaking as well, and may need replacement.