DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:07 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:45 am 

Maintenance free junction boxes are quite new, it was common to use the old Bakelite boxes under floor boards for years, and also there is the question, when the electricians have replaced no screws or nails in the floor boards is a junction box accessible or not?

So when changing a standard socket to a RF controlled socket I found the back box was not in line with surface of the wall, also the cable needed to fed from back of box not bottom of box, so I lifted carpet and tried to move the feed cable so the box could be mounted slightly higher and to one side of original position. I did not like seeing it hard against the skirting and door post.

However when I removed the floor board I found an old type round Bakelite box which seems to have been used on the lighting supply, not really worried used on lights, current is low, and even if a terminal did come loose unlikely to cause a fire, and those boards are easy lifted for inspection.

However the spec was that all sockets would come from the ring final, so I could latter add spurs if required, or extend ring, however I have found two unfused spurs, one I have found the socket it is supplied from, the other I have opened all sockets near to it, and non have a spur connected to them.

This leaves the question, is there another hidden Bakelite junction box, but this time on the ring final? Because I wanted more sockets from this spur I have swapped the double socket for a grid switch type socket, switch and fuse holder, so the spur is now fused, with 7 sockets on it. Load is very low on the socket, carriage clock, phone, bed, alarm, table lamps, but this can change of course.

There was one electrician and his apprentice who did most of the wiring, but the job over ran, so last day there were 6 electricians on the job, I will guess most of the to my mind sub-standard work was done on this last day, sockets not level, door bell disconnected some where behind consumer unit, one length of horizontal T2 trunking across wall in front room, and likely the small Bakelite box found on lights likely because I complained we had agreed two light fixings in the room and they had only fitted one.

So it is possible the socket which is a spur has got a maintenance free box, however if the firm issued the electricians with maintenance free boxes, why would any electrician fit a Bakelite JB? Furniture now in place, new carpet fitted, we have moved into the house to look after mother, so if it does need changing likely it will be a big job.

So is it worth doing anything further than enquiring why the Bakelite JB was fitted to lights. I have not found a lose screw in a JB with wood beams, I have with steel beams with things like batching plants where there was a lot of vibration, but not in a house. So what should I do?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:23 am 

You could ...

1. Stir it up - as a stickler for the rules you have an 'obligation' to do so or
2. Suck it up - as an irrelevance.

Which do you reckon would be easiest?