DIY Forum


Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest


DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum




It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 12:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:55 pm
Posts: 27
Has thanked: 0 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Hi, i was hoping someone could help me, i am wanting to put a curtain pole up just above the french doots in the living room.

I am not great at DIY having not done that much, so a little advice would be great.

I think what i am struggling with more than anything is going to do it and then it not being solid brick straight behind the plasterboard, i am not sure if there will be a standard gap that you usually have or if the brick is much closer in that area, when i tap the wall where i would want to screw the curtain pole, it does sound different to the normal side walls that sound hollow, this doesnt sound hollow, which from what i am assuming is good, as i think i will be fine doing it if it was brick directly behind, i just worry if its now=t, as looking at the fixings im not sure if they look big enough to get through stabdard plasterboard then th hollow gap then find the brick at the back.

The house is new, it got built about 4 months ago, would i assume in any new houses in the uk that this area would be solid brick right behind the plasterboard with no gap like the rest of the wall?

would this be standard as they know people will be putting up curtains etc in that area?

or am i just really overthinking this?



Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:54 pm 
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:20 am
Posts: 169
Has thanked: 15 times
Been thanked: 19 times
My advice would be to fix a 3x1 batten to the wall, 6 inches longer than the window on either side, and then fix the rail to this. It's a much stronger job. By 3x1 I mean a piece of planed timber that was 3 inches by 1 inch before it was planed, or 75mm x 25mm. How you fix this to the wall depends on the structure of the wall. I would guess that it would be plasterboard that is stuck to the wall behind with adhesive. You need to fix to whatever is behind the plasterboard and drilling a couple of pilot holes should tell you what is there.

Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:59 pm 
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:20 pm
Posts: 3657
Has thanked: 1146 times
Been thanked: 1053 times
Every type of wall and fixing already been covered here if you do a search for curtain pole. ...

Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 



Similar topics

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Visit Solent plastics




News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy



Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group