DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:09 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:12 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I am a complete novice at DIY and just moved into my first house. I was attempting to put up some coat hooks and used the wrong wall plugs which pulled out.The result being two holes in the plasterboard too big to plug so need to be filled. Any advice would be massively appreciated as to what product to use and how to go about it. There is a cavity behind the hole so nothing to back the hole if that makes sense. Thanks in advance

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:14 pm 
UHM Super Moderator

:welcomeuhm:

I'll move this from welcome to general.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:47 pm 
Newly registered Member

Brilliant, thank you

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:34 pm 

What you essentially have is a 'dab & dot' (or is it 'dot & dab') finish? Essentially, to understand what you are dealing with, is that 'splotches' of Plaster Adhesive are thrown against the internal blockwork and the plasterboard is then affixed to that layer through adhesion. Obviously, levelled and plumbed as the finish continues.

Therefore, you have two alternatives. One being to drill into the blockwork and use plugs that are pushed into that orifice, and then longer screws, or

Use the plastic fixings that have a coarse thread that 'screws' into the plasterboard. I can't find a link or name for them but, from memory, they needed an 8mm pilot hole (which should more than compensate for any existing damage). They often come with their own 'driver'. A flat blade with a 'hex' end to fit a drill.

They seem quite flimsy but I've used them to hold some uprights for book shelving and, despite the weight, nothing has moved in nigh on 20 years.

For this message the author Grumps has received gratitude : worthingsaint
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for the reply, I should have been specific. This is an Internal wall, between a cupboard and the downstairs toilet. The dot and dab is certainly correct of any external walls.

I was going along the lines of filling the holes and starting again elsewhere. Is there anything you would suggest for filling the holes?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:44 pm 

This video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0MnCTPGoU pretty much sums up how I would fix any holes in plasterboard.

Mike

For this message the author London mike 61 has received gratitude : worthingsaint
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:53 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks, this is a slightly bigger job than I thought based on the video but makes sense. I'm guessing that as it is plasterboard using any sort of filler would be problematic? :downtown:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:58 pm 

worthingsaint wrote:
Thanks for the reply, I should have been specific. This is an Internal wall, between a cupboard and the downstairs toilet. The dot and dab is certainly correct of any external walls.

I was going along the lines of filling the holes and starting again elsewhere. Is there anything you would suggest for filling the holes?

In that case you probably have what is called Paramount walling. Essentially two layers of Plasterboard with a cardboard infill. Can you measure it by checking the thickness of any door opening and subtracting the profile of the architraves?

The plastic (also available in metal) fixings would work even in Paramount walling.

There is no point in filling and trying elsewhere as it will all be the same - unless you hit a vertical timber infill between panels - but that would only be good for a single screw.

In essence, use the same holes, but with the correct fixing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:03 pm 

The problem with filling holes in plasterboard is that you need to have something behind the hole for the filler to stick to and it boils down to either screwing a piece of plasterboard behind the hole or sticking a bit with filler.
The easiest filler for you to use would be easyfiill 20 as that would give you twenty minutes to work with the filler before it goes off.

Mike

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:34 pm 
Old School Chippie

London mike 61 wrote:
The problem with filling holes in plasterboard is that you need to have something behind the hole for the filler to stick to and it boils down to either screwing a piece of plasterboard behind the hole or sticking a bit with filler.

In extremis we sometimes blow a bit of expanding foam into a hole and once it has set cut it back and get the plasterers to patch it. It does work, but as I say it's only really an emergency/awkward situation solution

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:04 pm 

Found a link to the fitting I was mentioning.

but without the screw. They can be bought in a pack, either plastic or metal.

Job and Knock wrote:
In extremis we sometimes blow a bit of expanding foam into a hole and once it has set cut it back and get the plasterers to patch it. It does work, but as I say it's only really an emergency/awkward situation solution

A similar product which, in effect is a low expansion foam is,

and, once used, the cartridge remains useable for a longer period.

I introduced this latter product to our Wood Butcher team a couple of years ago. The situation was that they were renovating aluminum doors on Heritage railway carriages where the cast 'lands' for attaching the internal wood panelling were essentially 'used up'.

The existing solution was to attach timber inserts between the 'lands', which were secured by screws inserted, at intervals, along the frame edges, to provide new fixing material for the inner panelling. This, however, was identified as possibly weakening the structure of the door casting.

Initially, there was a degree of skepticism (of the product). They still used screws through the frame edges to secure the timber, but fewer of them. More recent forays into 'their domain' indicates that, over time, they have become more confident of the properties [of the product] and are now no longer screwing through the edges of the castings. Merely gluing and clamping the infill timbers.

I've also noticed that they are also using it to attach, and clamp, wooden 'fillets' to sections where the original [wooden] moulding has broken/rotted away.

'Old dogs'. I can tame them. :huray:

For this message the author Grumps has received gratitude : worthingsaint