DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:40 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi folks

Some seals have started to fail in one of my side hung uPVC windows. The air is getting between the opening frame and the fixed frame when the opening windows are shut tight. It is clearly seem on a cold morning when the window is steamed up apart from the opening part.

I was told replacement seals are no longer available. Is there a gun mastic which could be used? Somewhere in my memory I think I read of such a product with which you run a bead around the opening frame, apply a non stick film to the fixed frame before closing the window. Next day, open up, peel off the film and you have a new seal. Anyone advice please?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:21 pm 

find out what type of seal it is (profile) there are plenty of places that can make them to order if its not a off the shelf item

or

Do you mean the casement isn't closing tight ? (you may be closing it tight but the slack in the hinge makes it not seal) that's just worn hinges its caused by the weight of the casement when open, over time

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:41 pm 
BANNED

When re-sealing would it be best to blast warm dry air into the 'gas-gap' between the panes using perhaps a hair dryer?
It might stop steaming up?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:47 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

AAA.Handy.Man wrote:
When re-sealing would it be best to blast warm dry air into the 'gas-gap' between the panes using perhaps a hair dryer?
It might stop steaming up?

There is no cure if the seal between the glass panes is broken, new glass units is the only cure. Or perhaps the old ones are taken out, cleaned up and re-sealed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:30 pm 
BANNED

Quote:
Or perhaps the old ones are taken out, cleaned up and re-sealed.

I'm not 'clear' :cb what the difference is between this solution and what I suggested, please?
Or do the professionals suck a partial vacuum in the volume between the panes when effecting a repair?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:50 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

AAA.Handy.Man wrote:
Quote:
Or perhaps the old ones are taken out, cleaned up and re-sealed.

I'm not 'clear' :cb what the difference is between this solution and what I suggested, please?
Or do the professionals suck a partial vacuum in the volume between the panes when effecting a repair?

It has to be done with the correct equipment in a proper workshop, it cant be done by just blowing hot air between the panes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:54 am 

If there is condensation between the panes then the seal around the unit has failed . When double glazed units are manufactured the spacer bar (metal bit in the middle ) is filled with desiccant and this absorbs the moisture in the air during manufacture, modern units are most of the time filled with gas , argon ect, they are then sealed with a black butyl seal that is heated to 200 degrees to be applied , when this fails it's time for a new unit, if the glass is some special piece i.e. Leaded and expensive it may be stripped and re sealed. There is some companies that claim to get rid of condensation for good without removing the glass , they drill a hole in the glass one at the top one at the bottom flush the unit with a soloution this Coates the glass and stops the condensation supposedly, they then put a wire mesh sticker over the holes to stop insects getting in. I've never seen this been done double glazed units are quite cheap these days anyway and they can't do it on toughened glass.
I know all this cause I used to make double glazed units.

With regards to gaps in windows it may be a combination of things like failed hinges , window dropped, seal on unit breaking down and window feeling colder not necessarily drafty, frame not fitted correctly but 9 times out of then it's the hinges

For this message the author Thewindowguy has received gratitude : AAA.Handy.Man