DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:03 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello everybody,

I have a very urgent problem and would be incredibly grateful for help! My wife and I are expecting our first baby on the Jan 19, and moved house on Dec 29. We had three radiators replaced: In our bedroom, the “first” baby’s room, and the “second” baby’s room (all upstairs). These are not working properly. Our plumber has been here about 7 times and still hasn’t got them working. Temperatures outside have been close to minus 10 degrees this week (in Germany). It is crucially important that we are able to control the temperature when the baby is here – it is a serious health risk. I really, desperately need some support.

Currently, the radiator in our bedroom and the one in the “second” baby’s room only become warm when the radiator in the “first” baby’s room is switched on to full power (setting 5). There is another radiator on this level (bathroom), which was not replaced and works exactly as you would expect it to (so do all others in the house).

We have bled the radiators, and the pressure in the boiler is fine (the radiators in the attic, above the bedrooms, work fine). I can’t really afford to keep paying a plumber to come over, and to be honest, I am beginning to lose confidence in his abilities. Also: My wife and I are extremely nervous that this could be harmful for our baby when she arrives.

Can anybody PLEASE help?!

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:23 am 

:welcomeuhm:

first thing to try would be to close down the lockshield valves (opposite end to the TRVs) on all rad that are working normally and see what happens to the rads you are having problems with.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:25 am 

Unfortunately I do not have a clue how they might plumb systems in Germany, but it sounds as though it might be some form of one pipe system from your post.

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:28 am 

Did you have thermostatic valves fitted at the same time as the new rads? If it is a one pipe system you will need special ones, standard ones will cause the problem you describe.

I know you just moved in are you sure the old rads worked before they were changed?

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:36 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

Thanks for your fast responses!

Our plumber was working on the assumption that it was a one-pipe system. He then said it was probably a mixture of a one- and a two-pipe system. He then consolidated it into one of these systems, but I don't know which -- I was at work and my wife can't remember. In any case, new thermostatic vavles were also included. I do not know whether the old radiators worked, but they were certainly quite old.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:08 am 

Might be worth trying to get hold of the vendors to see who used to look after the heating. We've all been caught out by systems that have been piped unconventionally

BTW :welcomeuhm:

As always help on here is free, however if you think you have saved a decent sum of money why not click the link to find out about the charity we're currently supporting? A couple of quid makes a real difference.

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:16 pm 

ColdInDuesseldorf wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for your fast responses!

Our plumber was working on the assumption that it was a one-pipe system. He then said it was probably a mixture of a one- and a two-pipe system. He then consolidated it into one of these systems, but I don't know which -- I was at work and my wife can't remember. In any case, new thermostatic vavles were also included. I do not know whether the old radiators worked, but they were certainly quite old.

He'll have tried to convert from one-pipe to two-pipe... but sounds like there is summat wrong on the 2 rads you are having problems with.

As an aside what size/s are the pipes feeding the rads ?

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:58 pm 

Not wanting to sound rude or knock your plumber, but it sounds like he has ballsed up on what type of system you have.

Can't see how you can combine one pipe and two pipe successfully on the same system.

www.drlgas.co.uk