DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:22 pm 

hello,

ive just made 15 shaker style kitchen cupboard doors out of mdf.
Ive read on the internet mdf needs to be painted with oilbased paint fo best results, we would like eggshell finish.

could you advise the best way of going about getting these mdf doors painted. i might try spraying but have had no experience with spraying so might have to be foam roller and/or brush method.

cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:36 pm 

I have done loads of these doors and it is a slog. You need to seal the MDF and there are differing views on the best paint for this. I have used various paints for this but Zinsser BIN works well. The first coat looks crap as it goes on, shaking your confidence, but it comes good on the second coat. I use a roller and work quick using a brush where necessary. Two top coats of a good oil based paint to finish. So it is four coats both sides and the logistics is a pain if you have not got racks. You could have small hooks in the edges and hang the doors to a garage or shed rafter or something like that.

I have tried a number of times to have them sprayed but he cost is just too expensive. If you have your own spraying set up with an HVLP sprayer you need loads of coats to get teh cover right and you spend ages cleaning up afterwards.

I am sure that others on here will have a different view on the best way :thumbright:

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : smujytradeservices
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:45 pm 

Yeah, I find Zinsser BIN a really good primer for most things if you can stand the smell and work with the rapid drying times.

I find it saves me a coat on bare timber or mdf.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:55 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes using a roller and the right primer sounds like it will work best. I think the first reply answers the question perfectly and don't get dispirited by the line 'The first coat looks crap as it goes on' lol

Since they have done it before you can obviously move beyond that and get a good result if you follow the advice.

Bets of luck!