DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:28 pm 

Hi all,

Im a workshop Bench Joiner by trade, but as i am also self employed i also do work for general public in their houses like fitting doors and frames and general 2nd fix joinery.

Over the next few weeks i am going to be buying a few power tools like makita 10" mitre saw, laminate trimmer, routers, jigsaw etc.
my question is do they need to be 110v for working in general public houses?

your thoughts will be greatly appreciated

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:42 pm 

It's not a legal requirement anywhere.

The problem with site work where you do need to have 110 volt tools is that they are only insured for you to use 110 volt and therefore they insist on it.

If you are working on your own on private house you can do whatever you like - and many small builders/contractors do.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:52 pm 

At least if you have 110 you can use it in both environments so it's a no-brained.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:20 am 

:withstupid:

Agreed. Even if you go to work on small shops these days, if the building is owned by a larger property developer you can find that they require you to have either 110 volt or cordless. Same can apply to houses owned by housing associations and HATs. Makes 110 volt a bit of a no-brainer as far as I'm concerned as well

OK, I'm an "old school" chippie, so please don't ask me to do a bodge job - I didn't bring my horse today and in any case you don't seem to have a hitching rail!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:34 am 

110 all the way. Buy yourself a few different types of leads and maybe a splitter too.... then its set the transformer up once a day and leave it. I like to use a roll up lead for convenience, if i need long leads, then a short 4-5m straight lead with the tool on it.
It always pains me to see people rolling out a long 240 lead then carrying around a transformer with something plugged into it on a 2metre lead :sad:
No requirement really to use it in a domestic home, but should you ever have to need to do a commercial project or a bit on a decent site, you dont need to change your tools.

I prefer the ceeform type plugs over standard 3pin 240, they are generally tougher, don't get pulled out of the sockets anywhere near as easily, and the round shape tends not to catch on obstacles as much. Admittedly, 240 versions are available.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:29 pm 

As others have said 110v will cover all opportunities and I couldn't really argue against that.
That said I don't or haven't followed that advice. The last big site I worked on was a corrillion job and I had started to purchase 110v tools although I did get away with a 240v sds while I was there. The management seemed more worried that we weren't wearing the yellow trousers that others did but that's another story. Anyway some light fingered miscreant took a liking to the tools and I was left with the need to replace. As it was I was starting to work pretty much exclusively on domestic properties so took the choice to spend the insurance money on just 240v tools which have been all I've had for nearly five years. I have recently had some work on a small site which I should probably have used 110v but for what it is the stuff I have surfficed .
Up to you really , 240v may serve you well but if you see yourself doing a variety of works then 110v will make more sense.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:04 pm 

i do mainly domestic but my gear is all 110v

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:16 pm 

thank you everyone,

ive bought a faithfull transformer £55 ans a makita 110v chopsaw and drill