DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:30 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 5:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi

I'm hoping to fit some reclaimed french doors/side lights in a new man cave and have a slight sill issue. The image below shows the doors as they are currently installed, as you can see there is a wooden sill running the full length of the unit.

Attachment:
doors.jpg
doors.jpg [ 105.22 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

However, the rough opening in my "shed" isn't big enough to include the sill. The doors/frame are 2100 high and so is the shed opening (roughly). See below:

Attachment:
shed.jpg
shed.jpg [ 133.57 KiB | Viewed 1104 times ]

So any ideas how to get around this problem? I'm guessing I do need something to deflect any water running down the doors. One idea I had was to fit a kick-board along the front and then get a strip of aluminium around 200mm wide to fold over the kick-board acting as a kind of sill. Would this work? Any other ideas appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:56 pm 

What you have there is a commercial set of aluminium doors with a curtain walling side screens , the door set incorporates a aluminium threasold for water run off and the curtain walling is designed to drain through the capping so really all you need is a folded piece of aluminium or flashing. You could sit the frame 10mm proud of the opening. Surprised to see these in a domestic setting no the most draft proof. Also if these doors were fitted in a shop opening there would be no sil they would sit on the concrete with a silicone seal on the threasold only

For this message the author Thewindowguy has received gratitude : Newmski
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:00 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Thewindowguy that's really helpful.

Yes I believe they were originally taken from a school so that would make sense. Is there anything I can do to help with draft proofing?

Cheers
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:27 pm 

Glad i could help , not a great deal is available to improve the draft proofing , as long as the brush pile is tight with no gaps then most of the drafts should keep at bay.
One thing to note is that the doors close on a hydrolic closer when these fail they can slam dangerous fast and with force and if the oil leeks it makes a horrible mess

For this message the author Thewindowguy has received gratitude : Newmski
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hmmmm, I'm starting to go off these doors...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:19 pm 
Newly registered Member

I think the closers have probably already failed as the lady donating them to me has them tied up with an industrial strength strap when open :)

Do you know if there is anything that can be done to stop them slamming? Can I replace the hydraulic closer for instance? The doors are free so I don't mind spending a few quid sorting them out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:05 pm 

Yes the closers can be changed there are a few types around, and come in hold open and no hold open
Also different brands basically get what you pay for , becareful as certain types only fit in the fixing brackets so best stick to the same type in there