DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:59 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:46 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I've got very limited DIY experience so forgive what is probably a simple question. I'm planning on moving house and as part of my preparations for selling, there are a few repairs that need to be done. One is some cracks in the living room ceiling and at the edge of the coving. There's one large crack in the middle of the ceiling, about 1 metre long and pretty straight. At one end of that crack, there is a small crack perpendicular to it. There are also a few small cracks near the door, as well as some damage at the edge of the coving. I've tried to detail all of these in the attached photographs.
What would be the best way to repair these?
Thanks a lot!!

Attachments:
File comment: Cracks at edge of coving
crack4.jpg
crack4.jpg [ 62.41 KiB | Viewed 1676 times ]
File comment: Smaller cracks near door area.
crack3.jpg
crack3.jpg [ 58.78 KiB | Viewed 1676 times ]
File comment: End of main crack, with smaller perpendicular area.
crack2.jpg
crack2.jpg [ 57.21 KiB | Viewed 1676 times ]
File comment: Main crack in middle of ceiling
crack1.jpg
crack1.jpg [ 55.09 KiB | Viewed 1676 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:04 am 
UHM Super Moderator

Better asked in P & D. I'll move it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:21 pm 

Since no one else is picking it up. :welcomeuhm:

If you are a DIY novice it may be better to forget doing yourself and getting a good decorator in. I personally could not give you advice how to botch it up ... I guess you will be putting he house on the market once it is done.

Anyhoo, you probably have 2 maybe 3 distinct problems.

a. Joint with coving [photo 1 as I see it top down] ... that is probably the easiest. Scrape off flaking paint use caulk or filler to redo the surface of the corner. Caulk is probably better long term but depends on the thickness of paint that comes off for what the end result will look like. If the paint is too thick ... won't be easy.

b. Random areas where the paint is lifting off [photo 2]... the paint lifting off feels too thick. If it is lifting where there is a joint of plasterboard, it may have already been repaired and the paint has not been put properly ... once you start scraping a lot of the paint may come off (or not) till you find a solid edge.

c. [last two photos] straight lines where the paint is lifting off are joints of plasterboard. On photo 3 there are signs of previous attempts at covering it up. Normally you would remove the flaking paint, remove any loose material between the sheets of plasterboard, use a jointing tape and refill the area going quite a bit wider than the actual crack with the filler. Again the paint looks too thick to me as if it has been badly applied or repairs have been attempted. For a proper job, the boards should be screwed again if they move and then taped and filled.

Alternative to that which some people here would recommend, would be to make good all the joints etc without killing yourself, (still would need taping and filling IMHO) and then use lining paper on the ceiling. As I dislike papering I can add no more :hiding:

Finally, the ceiling will need painting, which will make the rest of the room look unpainted ... but the looks are something for you to consider and solve.

If it helps a little :-)

For this message the author OchAye has received gratitude : Illumination
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks a lot!