DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:31 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:57 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I'm thinking of buying a property. It is a mid terrace stone cottage built in 1950. Is it possible to tell how likely it is that a complete rewire will be needed from a photo of the consumer unit?:

Attachments:
ConsumerUnit.jpg
ConsumerUnit.jpg [ 191.24 KiB | Viewed 1671 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:23 am 
Newly registered Member

Ive just bought a house in a very similar age/ situation and had an electrician check it over after we bought it.

You will need a new consumer unit to replace above - costs about £500.

Rewire will mainly depend if earth is present. Most likely power circuits are all earthed but cabling and socket back boxes are old. I was advised to leave wiring as is and replace back boxes as i decorate the house.

However your lighting circuit may not have an earth. Ours had earth to some lights (not all) but all switches were unearthed. It is not a legal requirement to have earths as you can use plastic light switches and double insulated lights. I am looking at getting just my lighting circuit reqired though as may not be a huge job and you cant do it once the house is decorated.

If possible take a look a look at the wiring on some of the switches and lights and see if an earth cable is present? If not use this to negotiate price - I wish i had!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 pm 

doing a full refurb ? to live in or sell on ? or rent)

If you going to live in it, rip out and start a fresh for piece of mind, if your selling it on, rip it out and start a fresh then the new owners will not have to worry about ripping a refurb'd place apart to do it

Rental - new CU, replace the fittings and back boxes as required, if the cabling checks out ok there no telling till you start digging under the floor boards

If the floor is coming up and ceiling coming down for new heating etc. you mite as well a proper job

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:49 am 

Why not ask the sellers to provide you with an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) so you have a better idea of the size of the can of worms?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:58 pm 

Just had my mothers house re-wired, it was simply not worth my while to DIY. However it was not a complete re-wire, the kitchen had already been re-wired, the wet room was only 10 years old, and there were other odds and sods which were not requiring the up-grade.

Near every house will be the same, some bits will be OK other bits will not be. In the main rubber cable and lighting before 1964 when we started earthing the lights will need replacement, but after that there is no hard and fast rule. In the main to rent you will want a new metal consumer unit, but even that is not hard and fast.

I had a good idea what it would cost and got two quotes one twice the price of the other. OK not a perfect re-wire, but it was fast and meant if I wanted I could rent out the house, as it transpired I did not rent and I have already changed what was done, but that was only to be expected with a wife like mine, she can't make up her mind.