DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:32 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: New oven trips RCD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:03 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I've just moved into my first house and have discovered that the oven, Which was installed (Brand New) by the previous owner trips the RCD when turned on.

The oven appears to be on its own circuit with a B32 switch in the consumer unit.
The Hobs are also connected to this circuit but they appear to work fine although these are wired directly into the socket unlike the oven which plugs in with a 13A plug.
I have checked the connections on the back of the oven and in the plug and they all appear to be correct and tight.
I have also turned off all of the other circuits protected by the RCD apart from the oven and even then it trips the RCD when turned on (While the hobs work perfectly).

At the moment there's three things that I think could be the cause.
- Faulty Oven (Although i doubt it as its brand new)
- The circuit itself has an issue or the cable isn't large enough (Although the hobs work fine)
- The Flex cable that goes from the plug to the oven isn't the right size (I cant tell from the cable if its 1.5mm or 2.5mm)

Please see attached picture of the oven connection with an S4 flat head bit to compare the size of the flex cable, as well as a picture of the oven manual electrical installation page.

Any help would be much appreciated as an oven would be real nice to have working so we can cook some food :)

(Please note the uninsulated screwdriver in the comparison picture is not what is being used for the actual electrical work)

Attachments:
14725232_10153810954975124_1232555562_o.jpg
14725232_10153810954975124_1232555562_o.jpg [ 98.1 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]
14795887_1169589893126339_798072549_o.jpg
14795887_1169589893126339_798072549_o.jpg [ 94.95 KiB | Viewed 1667 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: New oven trips RCD
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:16 pm 

If you had a test meter you could measure the resistance between the live and earth (and the neutral and earth) to see if the fault is 'obvious'. You really need an insulation test meter to do it properly though.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Unfortunately I only have screw drivers/cutters/pliers available to me at the moment. I'm hoping its just a case of needing to change the flex to 2.5mm as the manual states 13A socket - Min cable size 2.5mm but in all honesty I don't know if the current cable is 1.5 or 2.5.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:38 pm 
Troll Headbutter

I'd check the other end of that cable.....if it's terminated as badly as that, it's likely the fault location!! :shock:

It won't be caused by undersized cable if the RCD is tripping.

For this message the author BillyGoat has received gratitude : TheDoug
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:15 pm 
Newly registered Member

Right, I retermnated the back of the oven and the plug and it has now been on for about 10 minutes with no issues, so fingers crossed it stays that way :-)
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:38 pm 

TheDoug wrote:
Hi, I've just moved into my first house and have discovered that the oven, Which was installed (Brand New) by the previous owner trips the RCD when turned on.

The oven appears to be on its own circuit with a B32 switch in the consumer unit.
The Hobs are also connected to this circuit but they appear to work fine although these are wired directly into the socket unlike the oven which plugs in with a 13A plug.
I have checked the connections on the back of the oven and in the plug and they all appear to be correct and tight.

Please see attached picture of the oven connection with an S4 flat head bit to compare the size of the flex cable, as well as a picture of the oven manual electrical installation page.

Looking at that (1st) pic I'm hardly surprised.. those bare strands on the live/neutral are almost touching.

I hope that when you re-made the connections there was NO bare copper showing ??

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/