DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:49 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:31 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I'm looking for some expert advice on replacing under-cabinet lights in kitchen with LED tape lighting (need LED tape as the light pelmet under cabinets is too shallow even for slim-line LED strip lights).

We currently have 3 old fluorescent tube lights – 2 on one wall separated by a cooker hood & 1 on opposite wall. These are controlled by 1 wall switch. I have 2 standard grey 240v cables into the connectors of 2 of these and 1 into the remaining one (I assume that this is a daisy-chain, with 1 cable feeding the light & other looping round to the next light, with the last light only having 1 cable feeding it. I’m also assuming that, as the double cables are wired into the connector that plugs into the tube, that this connector is also acting as a junction box, allowing the feed for the next light. HOWEVER, please correct me if my assumptions are nonsense – it definitely wouldn’t be the first time!!)

I know I need a driver as LED tape cannot take 240v, but can’t figure out the best way to fix up using existing cables/daisy-chain setup (I know that you get extension cables to link separate lengths of LED, but I can’t get new cables dropped from one side of kitchen to the other). My main questions are:

1. If I place a driver on the initial live feed after the switch, will that suppress the current for all 3 lengths of LED tape when using the current grey cables to join the different runs of LED (if that is ok, how would I connect the grey cable to LED tape for the 2nd/3rd runs)? If not, is a driver required on the ‘live’ cable before it goes into EACH length of LED tape?
2. In either case, can I wire 2 x 240v grey cables into a driver & use it like a junction box as per the old existing connectors, or should I put a separate junction box in front of the driver, then wire the driver into this junction box?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:52 pm 

:dunno: is the answer.

Its all down to the "driver"
If your driver can run enough LED's then yes you can just use the one and then use the existing cable to supply the other strips.
How to connect them? you need a LED tape connector (Not sure of its exact name)
Will 2 T + E cables fit into the driver? depends on the size of the cables and the size of the terminals.

If it were me (and it isn't) I would see if its possible to put the drivers on top of the cabinets, and run a (small) cable down to each LED strip

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : fargon
PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

someone-else wrote:
:dunno: is the answer.

Its all down to the "driver"
If your driver can run enough LED's then yes you can just use the one and then use the existing cable to supply the other strips.
How to connect them? you need a LED tape connector (Not sure of its exact name)
Will 2 T + E cables fit into the driver? depends on the size of the cables and the size of the terminals.

If it were me (and it isn't) I would see if its possible to put the drivers on top of the cabinets, and run a (small) cable down to each LED strip

Thanks for your response. I'm struggling to run the normal connecting cables to reach the light on opposite side of kitchen due to the limited roofspace as kitchen was an extension. Re the driver, I've researched that and can get one that would be sufficient for the total amount of LED. I'll look for the LED connector that you mention as that may be the answer. Just every supplier I talk to advises different things...
Thanks again for your time!