DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:01 pm

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: dulux trade paint.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:55 am 

hi
iv'e been in the trade for twenty years now and i've got a problem at the moment.i've painted a ceiling that was artexed then skimmed over with plaster.i've applied the usual miss coat then 2 coats of dulux trade emulsion to the ceiling, but it still looked very patchy so much so that i've given it another coat.also when i touch it up it stands out very badly.the room is south facing so it gets a lot of light.i don't know what to do.any advice will appreciated.
many thanks

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject: Re: dulux trade paint.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:15 pm 

Touch ups often stand out badly in rooms with a lot of light to be fair.
How are you applying the paint, what kind of dulux trade are you using?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:29 pm 

i'm using 12" sheepskin roller & acrylic brushes with dulux trade vinyl matt.the ceiling is on the low side as well witch does not help.as soon as i walk in the room i notice it.and its for a mate as well.i'm no cowboy and want to get it right.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:49 pm 
Elephant Man

The patchy look may be due to parts of the plaster skim being more highly polished than the surrounding area. The mist coat tends not to penetrate these bits so well.

I'd be inclined to give the whole ceiling a light sanding, then a coat of Zinsser Gardz followed by emulsion as normal.

Out of interest, is it patchy as in flashing or staining, as I'm wondering if something's eating through the emulsion. :scratch:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:55 pm 

What was the plaster like before you painted it?

If the plaster was good the only other thing I can think of is you're not putting enough paint on/ not covering it evenly. It can be difficult to keep track of with ceilings.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:10 pm 

its had 4 coats so there's no misses.i've been working away from the light and even painted it the other way as well.it was uni-bonded prior to plastering.it is a lounge/dinning/kitchen ceiling with a small section leading into the dinning room,kitchen area.this i were its worst of all.i wonder if should of used a super-matt with no vinyl in it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 pm 

I would have thought the plasterer definitely would have used pva to bond the plaster onto the artex and some of it has been brought to the surface when it has been skimmed. Hence the patchiness in absorption / very low absorption of the paint in some parts.

Low ceilings are a nightmare as you know. Even if you roll with the same roller over one piece with paint that is slightly thicker it will show. I don't think you should risk touching in with a brush.

I would sand over the whole lot with a pole sander to take out the worst of the peaks and then definitely thin the Dulux Vinyl Matt down to a cream consistency so it can flow out to a smooth finish and apply with a medium pile roller. A contract matt may have slightly less sheen and hide the imperfections better.

Sorry to repeat your post Dubman - you posted at the same time. I would prefer the supermatt option.

http://www.bristoldecorator.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:50 pm 

Puma wrote:
I would have thought the plasterer definitely would have used pva to bond the plaster onto the artex and some of it has been brought to the surface when it has been skimmed. Hence the patchiness in absorption / very low absorption of the paint in some parts.

Low ceilings are a nightmare as you know. Even if you roll with the same roller over one piece with paint that is slightly thicker it will show. I don't think you should risk touching in with a brush.

I would sand over the whole lot with a pole sander to take out the worst of the peaks and then definitely thin the Dulux Vinyl Matt down to a cream consistency so it can flow out to a smooth finish and apply with a medium pile roller. A contract matt may have slightly less sheen and hide the imperfections better.

Sorry to repeat your post Dubman - you posted at the same time. I would prefer the supermatt option.

i did thin it down a bit as i was worried about getting a dried edge etc.there was was two of us painting it as well.i think super-matt would of been better option as there would be know vinyl for the light to reflect off.still if you can p*ss you can paint as the other trades keep telling me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:24 pm 

Hope it works out for you there, low ceilings are tricky no doubt about it.

http://www.bristoldecorator.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:34 pm 

if its dulux trade vinyl matt PBW it wont be you, ive had the same problem before, even after adding 3 pints of water to a 5ltr. i stopped using it, the diamond matt covers perfect, but is far to costly for ceilings, i use glidden trade PBW now and thats perfect covers good goes quite far.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:26 pm 

Quote:
i use glidden trade PBW now and thats perfect covers good goes quite far.

Me too. It's great for ceilings, even low ones.

I've always thought Dulux Trade Vinyl Matt is too expensive for ceilings. I know some people will say the paint that goes on a ceiling should be as good as the paint that goes on the wall but, and let's be honest here, 99% of people wouldn't notice the difference anyway, and, besides, I always tell my customers that the ceiling paint doesn't need to be as high spec as the wall paint and they all, without exception, agree.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:40 pm 

The only thing i can add to the other guys is are you laying off parralell to the light source?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:36 pm 

Put the wallpaper steamer on in the room for a few minutes before you paint, then thin a little and paint away from the light source, making sure that you put in plenty of paint. Don't apply too much pressure with the roller, ideally using a twelve inch roller so the pressure is even.

You sound like you have done most or all of the above, in which case, the porosity of the ceiling is probably the issue and two coats of Johnstones Covaplus may be better.

Out of interest, did you buy the Vinyl Matt from B&Q?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:45 pm 

Sounds to me like its the vinyl matt.

Id definitely give it a whirl with contract matt and see how you go.

As tom says vinyl matt is wasted on ceilings and shines on low ceilings.