DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:47 am

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Render
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys

I used this forum a little while ago to render a fireplace and was given lots of helpful advice so I am back for more ! I have blocked up two windows and am wanted to render them with a hand scat finish and I'm wanting some advice about what mixture to you and how to apply. The thickness of the existing render ranges from about an inch down to 1cm so quite a range. I have attached a picture to give an idea of what I am trying to achieve.

Thanks

Attachments:
IMAG0741.jpg
IMAG0741.jpg [ 494.89 KiB | Viewed 843 times ]

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

Post subject: Re: Render
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:07 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi all ... any ideas on this as I am hoping to attempt over the weekend. Should I scratch coat first to make up some of the depth ? How thick is the scat coat of render ?

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:11 pm 
Newly registered Member

You have a painted tyrolean finish on there and because you dont have the thickness best option there would be to do 1 coat of sand and cement keep it back about 1-2mm use a mix of 5:1:1 and hire a tyrolean gun to finish it off with a wet mix of 2:1.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:09 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Thanks for the reply. If is definately a hand scat finish as I watched them do it (its probably that the picture is not great). I have kind of done what you have said with a scratch coat of 3:1 and then I was either going to apply a 4:1 and dry dash the coast or just go with a wet dash of 2 chippings 2 sand 1 cement but I think the wet dashing is quite difficult to do. Would you think that I could get away with a dry dash and then coat with a slurry type mix just painted on so that it blends with the existing a bit better ?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:58 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi Guys

I'm still hoping to do this at the weekend weather permitting. Can any let me know if what I have suggested would be ok. I think it will be easier if I do a dry dash as the wet version seems like a skilled process. Any thoughts would be great.

Thanks