DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:38 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: To smeg or not to smeg
PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:34 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello Everyone
My partner and I are looking for a smeg style fridge / freezer in cream I love the design but sadly just can’t justify the price tag!
We are renovating a cottage which was built in 1704 so I need something inkeeping so we looked at the cream smeg and thought it would be the best bet. We are open to ideas, the only other idea we had was to get a normal fridge freezer and build round it and pop a recycled cream almost like a stable door to cover (not forgetting vent holes!)

Thanks   

Becca

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:08 pm 

Smeg are far too expensive for what they are. I think that an integrated fridge freezer within a cabinet is a far better way to go. If you want to fashion a Smeg look door You could make one up but it would weigh a fair bit. To get the curves you would have to make the frame quite thick and I would use Tulip wood frame with a cabinet grade ply cover as both will take paint well, you can shape the curves and it will not weigh a ton.

You build up the frame by laminating boards together to get the thickness stepping the boards to form a rough curve and forming a housing for the front panel ply. Using a plane and belt sander form the curve and then glue and screw it together. The frame will need cross rails to give it stability and to marry up with the fridge door opening slide device, Use a number of Blum type hinges that will carry the door. At this door thickness you will not be able to have this next to other cabinets as the swing will be too great.

Quite an interesting project that might be a bit too hard if you do not have the tools and not cost effective if you get someone to make it for you so it might be better to buy the Smeg.

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:20 am 

Have you had a look on Ebay? You can find some really good second-hand Smeg fridge/ freezers... I would love one, but I don't have the space in my kitchen! Just a thought..... :-)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:11 am 

or keep your eye out in local auctions - been to one today and was amazed at how many Dyson vacs went for between £10-£20

donnas-dream-house-charity-t52110.html

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]