DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:22 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: To fill or fillet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:17 pm 

I'd like to restore the edge to a door frame and could do with some advice.

From the inside, the frame is the type with the door to the left and a glass panel to the right. The door edge of the vertical spar has become bashed and chipped over the past 50 years. The wood is sound and the surfaces seem are relatively smooth but have been painted many times.

My plan is to strip the paint off, repair, then repaint. Replacing the door frame really isn't a viable option.

The dings in the edge only go in a few mm at most but appear to be bash on bash on bash.

Now I'm in a dilemma. Should I fill with a good quality filler or router out say 5x5x1000 and glue in a fillet? The first option seems the obvious one, but I don't know how well a filler would take to being bashed.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: To fill or fillet
PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:47 pm 

A filler piece would be the way I would go although it is a bit of work. A strip of hardwood would be best as it will stand up better than softwood against future bumps. Get the strip sized as close as possible to minimise sanding in flush. I use pins tapped half way in to hold it tight whilst the glue sets. I then pull them out and sand flush. You could drive the pins in with a punch but I prefer to pull them out as I split a fillet once.

Using the filler approach, car body two part filler is the way to go as it dries hard and is quite resilient.

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 3:52 pm 

If you are good with a router, that would be my choice, itll give you a nice crisp edge again.

Use a bit of hardwood.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2017 4:24 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
I use pins tapped half way in to hold it tight whilst the glue sets. I then pull them out and sand flush. You could drive the pins in with a punch but I prefer to pull them out as I split a fillet once.

DWD

If I have to pin a patch temporarily I use small offcuts of hardboard and drive the pins through that and all the way home, when the glue has dried pull off the hardboard and the head of the pin is just sitting there waiting for a pair of pincers.

I've always felt that driving the pins home (through the hardboard) is a better method while the glue dries.