A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:36 am
Visit Hilti

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Tiled Roof
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hello

I am looking at retiling a barn roof, the battons have all given up and the tiles slipping. I want to remove the tiles, and put felt on, fresh buttons and then replace the original tiles.

I'm not too phased by most of it, although its all new to me, so will welcome any tips on how to do it.

The thing I ammost unsure of is how to lift the old tiles and get them to the stack on the scaffolding, is it just a case of lifting as many as I can hold and walk them down, and repeat, over and over again? Is there an easier faster way? I take it doing it off a roof ladder is a good plan, as the battons are iffy?

Look forward to your ideas.

Regards.

Divad

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Tiled Roof
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:24 pm 

I don't like the sound of the condition of your roof, particularly as you seem to think that the batons are shot.
Roofers would normally strip a roof by stripping the ridge tiles and hips and working top down. The tiles would be distributed evenly around the scaffold ready & handy for reuse.
From a health and safety point of view, you perhaps need to consider working from the eaves by stripping the line of tiles approx 1m from the eaves them strip back to the eaves. Then lay your sarking felt out and fix what batons you can. Then repeat this process working safe from the previously battoned area and repeating until complete. Remember, the last items you will require are the ridge tiles so if you are cramped for space, you may wish to carry them down.
Take note also that the work you are proposing is notifiable to planning and subject to regs. They also inspect for inclusion of the correct insulation etc.

Davyp1

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 5:55 pm 

as usual, put some photos up of the outside roof surface and photos frominside the barn.

working at heights is dangerous and no place for a total learning curve.
you should always have someone working with you, in fact youd be better off with three working on the job.
you would need a H&S assessment for BCO and your insurance.

in building college they start on mini low roofs and progrees to working high after learning the basics at low level.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 10:49 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks.

I think you may have misunderstood, its not a house, so no insulation, its on the farm. The slipping tiles are due to the battons being poor, hence why i want to replace them, It's actually over the old cart house, which means its not that high. And there's not really anywhere to fall, its full of straw bales and the space between the rafters is very small, The rafters, well more beams are big. They are sound, the battons arent so good, hence wanting to replace them. I have actually helped tile a few roofs just never stripped one, and done one of my own if that makes sense, my plan was work from the top down, off my roofing ladder. Half of the roof has had new battons, but no felt, I guess I can lift those tiles in that area and stack them, on the roof, before moving them down to be stacked properley. There are lots of people on the farm, so I won't be on my own.

Good idea of starting at the eaves and working up on sounds woodwork, definitely worth considering.

Regards

Divad

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 11:31 pm 

how can you work from the eaves laying felt and fixing battens if you dont know how to set out a roof?
start by removing the ridge. then open up a tile free batten stairway from eaves to ridge.
then remove all tiles and then battens - remove all battens back to exposed rafters.
when the roof is bare you take measurements and can begin setting out from the eaves.

before you do anything you must know how the eaves and verges are to be finished.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:44 am 
Newly registered Member

Hello

I gues you'd have to copy the gauge of the battons that have already been replaced, but I agree, it'd be better working conventially in terms of setting it all out. I can't see a problem stripping the tiles, working from my ladder, if needs be I can add a timber or two to spread the load of the ladder over the rafters.

One side of the roof buts up to a wall so will have soakers and a stepped flashing, the other is to be cemented, is there a modern way of cementing the verge, the roof currently on that part is very old.

Regards

Divad