DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:52 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: This is laughable
PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:38 pm 

Chiqqy wrote:
ayjay wrote:
big-all wrote:
did they fit or do you have tile vents as they seem to have blocked the eaves :dunno:

At last! Someone else has noticed - but been ignored. :lol:

I was going to mention it earlier, but changed my mind what with the way this topic took a turn for the worse.

Can I have some advice on this please, being a woman I have no clue about these things lol :help:

In your third photo it appears to show the insulation pushed down tight to the eaves and potentially blocking any ventilation from there.

When done correctly (and there's no other vents) it should look like this.

Attachment:
Loft_Insulation_eaves.jpg
Loft_Insulation_eaves.jpg [ 42.29 KiB | Viewed 994 times ]

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : Chiqqy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 10:53 pm 

Hi Chiqqy,

Here is a link to a list of roofing terms which you may find helpful while discussion the situation in your loft.
http://www.guardianroofing.biz/glossary-of-roofing-terms/

In your final picture you can see where the insulation has been push up into the space between the rafters - blocking the eaves.
This serves no purpose, but will lead to serious problems if not removed.

Rather than trim and tidy the insulation at the end of the joist, the fitters have been lazy and pushed the insulation up in to the space between the rafters. This has blocked the eaves, which has blocked airflow beneath the tiles and in the loft - Without airflow moisture in the air will remain trapped, eventually the moisture will absorbed by the dryer areas in the loft : timbers and brickwork and insulation.

If the timbers get damp they will rot, weakening the structure of the roof making it unsafe.
If the brickwork gets damp it will encourage moulds to grow, creating a health hazard and possible damaging the paint or wallpaper if it spreads through the property.
If the insulation gets damp it will create an environment perfect for mould to become established, potentially causing sever health issues.

You need to contact the council and complain about the irresponsible fitters who have left your loft in state that has comprised the airflow and will lead to a council property developing damp, mould and rot if left unaddressed.

I would ask the question if they've done it in your loft, home many more council properties have been compromised and what will the future cost be for the council when they are forced to repair the properties affected by damp all because of the lazy fitters today.

As a tax payer I find it very annoying, any council would have to make cuts or raise taxes to pay for those remedial repairs.

For this message the author gib_goblin has received gratitude : Chiqqy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:56 pm 
Pro Carpenter

its hard to tell if it is blocked eaves
looking closely at the picture it looks like the insulation is layed ontop off the sloping roof timbers
and there looks like a wall behind with the mortar lines just visible :dunno:

For this message the author big-all has received gratitude : Chiqqy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:09 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks fellas, I will go up later and have a proper look, I need to check if they covered the loft hatch too. I wasn't going to complain to the council but if it's going to cause problems later on because air vents are covered I will have to.
Everything I said previously is true and I didn't get a letter telling me to have my loft cleared (although I knew it made sense to do so, which is why I showed them the loft first). Even if the loft had been completely empty with no boards down it was never going to be a competent job, living in council property means you are treated like rubbish even if you work hard to pay the rent. A couple of years ago they had to rewire the house, they replaced the standard smoke alarms with mains wired ones, months later I heard a beeping noise and it was driving me mad trying to find out were it was coming from, they'd only gone and thrown the old one under the floorboards in the hall with a load of other rubbish!!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 4:34 pm 

I didnt post last night for fear of swearing. But can't help myself....

***text removed***

Please refrain from public insults & swearing on the open forums. if you have anything to say to a person that should not be put in public view, please send it to them by means of private message, which they can then choose to reply to or ignore

thank you

Rich-Ando

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 7:05 pm 
Newly registered Member

paul the spread wrote:
I didnt post last night for fear of swearing. But can't help myself....

***text removed***

Please refrain from public insults & swearing on the open forums. if you have anything to say to a person that should not be put in public view, please send it to them by means of private message, which they can then choose to reply to or ignore

thank you

Rich-Ando

What did I miss?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:54 pm 

You missed me having a pop at inky pete for being snobby about people in council houses.
He was right to say you should of moved you stuff out of the way. But all that about you not paying for the job.... Wound me up a bit.

For this message the author paul the spread has received gratitude : Chiqqy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:37 pm 
Pro Tradesman

i have now read the whole topic not just the reported post so yes, i understand what has transpired, suffice to say as long as the abuse stays out, that is what we are concerned about. Razor actually aske dpeople to be nice to the new member and i think that was well pointe dout.

for the record, my opinion is.. some pay, some don't. the timing and circumstance has every thing to do with it.

i have just ordered all of my cavity wall insulation and i could have had loft insulation too but for ease of explanation i said no to it. i own my own home but i'm not pay a single penny. it's one of the current grants by the government...

however, i expect the job done right because they are being paid to install it one way or another. there is no excuse for shoddy work but at the same time, there isn't an excuse to not have moved your stuff either, no matter if you asked them or not. i would say Inky Pete is being sarcastic not agressive. but reading between the lines i think both of them are sitting in the same lane refusing to move over to go forward.

offer a tradesman a cup of coffee, it may get you something for free, it may not but it doesn't hurt to be reasonable.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:35 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks all, can this thread be removed or closed now? Council have decided that is was badly done, air vents are blocked, they expected the work to take about 90 minutes, they have no record of sending me a letter saying loft should be empty and board-less. (Because they didn't and that's why I asked them to look when they got here).
Will be re-done and even though they haven't said I should, I will empty loft and remove boards.
So thanks for pointing out the vents looked blocked :salute:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:41 pm 
Pro Tradesman

ok, there was a good outcome for you then. glad it worked out for you. i will close your topic at your request then.

please feel free to ask any other questions in another topic or post at any time.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Time zone: Europe/London