DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:29 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:18 pm 

When a friend visited the other day he looked out of the window to see the washing line strewn with plastic sacks . "Have you been washing bags now " he asked. "Well , yes " I replied "they were dirty so I washed them , don't you?" The response was that he'd never known or heard of anyone washing out sacks , seems I'm possibly the only person to do such a thing. I wash them in a water butt then hang to dry but surely I can't be the only one can I ?
Now if I am unique in washing bags I'd like to hear if anyone else has any little , foibles, habits, call it what you will that as far as you know no one else does.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:21 pm 

I pick my nose when sat at traffic lights.

Must get a car........

For this message the author kellys_eye has received thanks - 4: camallison, Ktuludays, Razor, Stealthwolf
PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:47 pm 

I get a lot of different packs of screws with various items we buy and prefer to use the screws that I know will be better at hanging/fixing etc, but I still keep the little packs and have no intention of using them because they are either too short, too soft or just plain bloody useless.
I need to have a clear out and get a life :help:

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:08 pm 

Have to admit, never heard of washing plastic bags before.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 10:11 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

London mike 61 wrote:
I get a lot of different packs of screws with various items we buy and prefer to use the screws that I know will be better at hanging/fixing etc, but I still keep the little packs and have no intention of using them because they are either too short, too soft or just plain bloody useless.
I need to have a clear out and get a life :help:

Mike

Yes, I do (or did before I retired) keep those little bags of usually useless screws... :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:30 pm 

This reminded me of an old joke I heard as a kid: What is a sign of poverty? Answer - Toilet paper hanging on the washing line, or was it contraceptives or maybe sanitary towels. Anyway it triggered that memory from 1961 :lol:

By the way, I am a hoarder of useless screws and rawl plugs as well.

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:49 pm 

Worse than keeping packets of useless screws I keep them all LOOSE in a giant tub - must weigh around 10kg by now....

Once a year or so I contemplate sorting them out into the screw/nail/bolt compartmented boxes I have. Only contemplate though..... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:43 am 

I chuck out those little packets of screws if they are useless. I have been known to wash plastic bags but only those thick bag for life type things. I wash my fabric shopping bags from time to time as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:01 am 

I tend to chuck the screws into the scrap bin , poor quality and naff plugs most of the time but with one exception. That is the fixings that come with radiators , small coach screws and generally 10mm plugs that seem to be decent quality but are normally discarded by the plumbers or at least the ones I've worked with.
Actually good to see Rorschach washes bags , so I'm not alone. I don't normally bother with bin bag types but the sort that sand , dog food etc is sold in all get washed as long as they are sound. On the subject of bags one thing that always erks me is when someone tears one open or opens it in the middle rendering it useless for reuse. Probably the same person who then goes out to buy rubble sacks.
Perhaps washing bags is one of those things that have made me realise I'm turning into my dad . He'd keep any bag that seemed useful and had them everywhere when it came to clearing the house . Still they have come in useful and some of the older carrier bags from now defunct supermarkets brought in a bit via eBay.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:49 am 

Sandbags and stuff often get saved as they make great rubble sacks, I don't bother washing them though.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:50 am 

Carrier bags ..........I have a whole bin bag full of these for when we need to put something in for a family member to take away with them. I've actually got a carrier bag holder from ikea that SWMBO wants put up in our house but I need to get a roundtoit.....any ideas?
It won't matter soon anyway because they will be extinct in the next few years .

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:29 am 

Keep those little bags of screws? Yes, and every time I (correctly) think that I won't use them.
Tubs of assorted screws? Yes, along with tubs of all sorts of other assorted crepe!
I keep feed bags, and baler twine. Don't wash 'em though.

I think it's mostly people of a certain age who do this sort of thing. Stuff used to be relatively more expensive than it is now.
A box of 1" X 8 screws is about £1.50 from Screwfix. Going back to 1977, when I bought my first house, that would have been 25p allowing for inflation. I can't remember how much they were, but I suspect you'd have been paying nearer £1.50 for them back then.

You have to weigh the cost of stuff against the time messing with it as well. An hour spent sorting out that tub of screw into sizes, so that you can forget you have them and take the screws straight from the box, or an hour spent doing something useful? (down the pub :-) )

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:58 am 

People not putting shopping trollies back in the bay - It takes 10 seconds out of your day but I need to put them in order

For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:16 pm 

Things nobody else seems to do.....

in our house, the dishes....

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:38 pm 

I am like Flash, I cannot stand the supermarket trolleys not stacked properly in the return bays. I always spend a minute tidying them up.

DWD