DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:07 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 5:36 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'm replacing a damaged interior extension lead but when I make a call from the replaced extension there is continuous ringing. I've swapped the wires around in every combination but am unable to stop the continuous ringing. I'm using a lead with four wires but only working on any three of them in pins 2,3 and 5. Would you please tell me where I'm going wrong. Without dialling, if I touch the red & blue wires together there's a continuous ring, if I touch the red & white wires together there's a short ring on initial contact only. Very many thanks.
Mike

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 8:18 pm 
Communications Expert

Are you using a home extension kit that plugs into an existing telephone socket that you want to "spur off of"? Sounds like it, as the colours of the cable you have mentioned, sound more like extension lead / flex colours.
It would be best to hard wire the socket.Let me know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:28 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks for your response. My main socket has a home extension kit plugged into it, with the lead running from that, through an internal wall, into a wall-mounted slave socket in the next room. Some time ago the plastic casing connecting the extension lead into the main socket broke and has since been held together with an elastic band, so I've now decided to replace that extension lead.

My new 'Mercury' 10 metre extension lead (product coded 283.924 see www.skytronic.com) is now plugged into the main socket and the flex is fed through the small bored hole in the wall into the next room. As I wanted to feed the ends of the flex into the existing slave socket in the next room (as well as the need to get the flex through the small bored hole in the wall) I cut off and removed the plastic socket that was on the other end of the flex.

The old extension lead wires into the slave socket had been positioned as follows:- blue, orange, white/orange, white/green in pins 2,3,4,5 respectively. the new wires are coloured reddish, blue, white, green.

I hope this, in comjunction with my earlier post, helps. Thank you.
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 6:35 pm 
Communications Expert

A combination of the wires on 2 and 5 will get you dial tone. In most cases the pairs to giet you a live socket will be -
Red and white
or blue green.
Try either of these combinations on 2 + 5. Once you have established dial tone, one of the remainder wires will be your "ringing" wire that needs to connect to 3 on the socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thank you very much indeed for your help. Problem is now solved.

Much appreciated.
Mike

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]