DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:16 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:13 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi I am really struggling to secure my new monobloc tap to the ceramic sink.I have tried numerous times to add the bolts,nuts and o rings and each time it appears to be secure until I go to push the base of the tap from side to side.When that happens it moves and then you can wobble the tap.Im also not that certain which way the o rings and horshoe fixing need to be on.The instructions are pretty useless and the supplier isn sure, said to contact the manufacturer, but aiming to fit them this weekend.

Can you please help?I may just go out and buy another tap otherwise.The first pic shows the order in which i have the items assembled.There is a O ring in the base of the tap and then there was another o ring that came with the tap, this o ring id guess is menat to also go below the base of the tap.That then sits on the topen of the sink with the bolt and flexibles poking through.I add the rubber horseshoe and then the metal horseshoe with rough side facing down.There was also a plastic triangle that came with, i assume this is for stanless steel sinks so not sueed it,also wont fit on my sink.One thing i notice is that the other o ring that comes eeperate from the tap doesnt sit that well.Also is there a chance that the tap isnt suitable for a ceramic snk or the taps base diameter isnt large enough to keep a good hold over the ceramic sink hole?

This is the tap:

http://www.diy.com/departments/kiso-chrome-effect-kitchen-mixer-tap/112253_BQ.prd

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:08 pm 

The second o ring isn't needed, it's a spare. Other than that it all looks good.

You're right about the plastic support, it's for stainless sinks.

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

For this message the author Ktuludays has received gratitude : hyposmurf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:39 am 
Newly registered Member

Thanks Ktuludays I was thinking that to about the o ring but its bigger than the other one that came in the base of the unit.I've tried it in without to and still no better.I'm beggining to think that either its the tap, sink/tap combination dont work,difficult sink to fit tap or me getting something wrong.I've ordered a different tap and will see today.The tap was cheap though at £40,so might be a lesson there.Would still be good to know what went wrong.Another option I thought of was to add something solid below the sinkhole that the tap can go through and sits between the sink and tap to add a flat base, so tap might skid from side to side when pushed.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:12 am 

Mono taps have a lot of leverage and you might have to resort to silicone or mastic to secure / pot to the thicker ceramic bowl. This one only had a small grip area on the S.S. and was a s*d to sqeeze the tails and long nut together.

Attachments:
Faucet.JPG
Faucet.JPG [ 163 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]
FaucetClamped.JPG
FaucetClamped.JPG [ 144.38 KiB | Viewed 538 times ]

For this message the author aeromech3 has received gratitude : hyposmurf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 11:04 am 

The tap I fitted in my kitchen was similar to those shown here, it was an absolute pig to get at, I ended up using a double ended box spanner to tighten it, with a socket & ratchet on the lower end of the box spanner to extend it further, I couldn't get anything else on it without it moving the tap and washers out of position.

I'm not looking forward to changing it if it ever becomes necessary, I'm ten years less flexible/agile now. :shock:

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : hyposmurf
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:52 pm 
Newly registered Member

Thanks all for your replies.In the end I spent more on a new tap, it fitted first time! The new tap had a wide base and thicker o ring.