DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:36 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:38 am 

Last night I went out to our local for a meal . There was my other half , daughter and sister in law who we met there. On the way we popped into the co op and picked up a few things including some rolls , short dated on the clearance.
The meal came but my sil was horrified when I got out one of the rolls to make a chip butty with and this was compounded later when we had a cupcake , from the co op , to finish. She was very much of the disposition that we shouldn't take in our own food but as I see it attitudes have changed quite a bit nowadays. The pub we went in has what we have dubbed the picnic club . Several people taking in everything from crackers , pies , cakes and all manner of things.
Another pub I go to occasionally does the same thing . It's a small micro brewery type of place and it too doesn't mind people bringing in their own, indeed on my last visit a girl walked in with two large takeaway pizzas for a table of friends .
Is this rare , are there many pubs that do this or do people find that most are stuck firmly in the "if you haven't brought it here " category?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:24 pm 

Must say I haven't seen this sort of thing in any pub I've been in - and given how dire the state of pubs are these days (lack of custom etc) I think it amounts to a 'betrayal' of their business and another stab in the back of the industry.

If you want to 'keep' pubs you need to support them - bringing your own food looks, to me, to be the rocky road to ruin.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:02 pm 

The local I drank in for years sold basic hot food if you asked,roll on egg,sausage etc and limited supply.
The had crisps,nuts etc too. The owners didn't mind at all in the evening if a takeaway was delivered of pizza,chippy,kebab etc as it kept you in the place drinking.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:27 pm 

I've been in a few pubs over the years where I wished I'd taken my own beer! :help:

(Haven't stayed too long in any of those).

For this message the author ayjay has received thanks - 2: Dave54, Grendel
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm 

If you are going with the intention of having a meal, I don't think its appropriate to be honest. If you want a buttered roll on the side, most places will happily supply said roll for a little extra.

Now, my old local did food, but it was mostly one guy running it, so it could be difficult to cook with a busy bar, depending on what people wanted he would happily allow you to bring in takeaway food, pizza, curry, chinese...fish and chips from next door.
Of would cook up a massive plate of chips to go on the bar for minimal charge.
Many a night theres been a few of us at the bar with a chinese, usually ending up chipping in an extra quid or two each, and getting the landlord a feed too :lol: in return for some forks and plates. :lol:

I think you need to be on very good terms with the landlord for this sort of behaviour though!

On the flip side, a few years ago, i wandered down the local chippy to find it shut. Sod it. So went next door for a quick pint instead. Mentioned it to the landlord, and a pint later, his wife appeared with sausage and chips twice, wrapped up in tin foil to take away :thumbleft: :thumbleft:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:56 pm 
Pro Carpenter

it will depend on the pub model
some pubs make most off there money from the the food sales
other pubs have food as a sideline more to keep people in the pub than leave to get food
if your in a tied pub you have no control over the beers you serve and cant shop around for the best price

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:58 pm 

On the same TYPE of issue

I’m with Imelda Staunton: it's time to ban noisy, nasty food-guzzlers from theatres

THEATRE CRITIC Dominic Cavendish 1 MARCH 2017 • 5:00PM

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/theatre/what-to-see/imelda-staunton-time-ban-noisy-nasty-food-guzzlers-theatres/

Is it any wonder that we're a nation of Fatties, 'grazing' is the way so many ppl eat nowadays - is that because we all have to work so hard and be SEEN to be At work?
I blame that nice Mr Cameroooon and his pet phrase
"HARD-WORKING people"
Not "Efficient or Productive"??
Still, we've got that nice Mrs May now. :huray:

Last edited by AAA.Handy.Man on Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:00 pm 

Depends on the pub really. A pub that sold food I wouldn't do it in, but in a pub that didn't sell food I would ask them. A pub I have been too a few times in Cornwall has a good relationship with the pasty shop nearby and they practically encourage you to go and get a pasty and bring it back, the pasty shop also tells you that the pub will let you go in and eat it there. It is lovely to have a hot fresh pasty and a pint of ale sat next to the fireplace.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:54 pm 

If it was a pub that sold food then definitely not. Even if they didn't sell food I wouldn't unless I was a regular and knew the landlord was fine with it.
This was a case with my old local, very small pub, 10-15 regulars, no food served.
We would regularly chip in get a Chinese or pizza delivered. The landlord was fine with this as it kept us in there drinking longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:00 pm 

I remember one of me locals about thirty odd years ago. one Sunday dinner time the pub phone rings, next thing the landlord shouts one of the customers." yer missus is on't phone,,, Dinners ready." Chap shouts back "Tell er I'll be about an hour." Ten minutes later the chap's wife walks in with his dinner, a knife and fork. Puts his dinner on the table , slams down the knife and fork and tells him.. "Don't forget to bring to f****g plate back. He sat there astonished at her cheek and just as she's walking out the door, he shouts "You've forgot the salt n pepper." :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:12 pm 

I don't know if this still happens, but in years go by there were cafes and small restaurants which didn't want the bother of selling alc. so one could take along one's own and was charged 'corkage'.
Perhaps Pubs should make a similar charge for customers bringing in their own bags of Fish&Chips and such like = a 'Baggage' charge?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:38 pm 

Funny you should mention that. The pub I use is only yards from an Indian restaurant that doesn't have a licence and is perfectly happy for people to bring in their own beers and wines. They supply glasses but don't charge for it.
Perhaps I'm lucky in that local establishments ( or at least the ones I use) have a more "relaxed " business model. Makes sense to many , we're still buying the drinks and if the pub comes across as less friendly and welcoming then there's less chance of people paying a return visit. I've even seen the landlord bring out plates of cheeses to the picnic club as we call them.
A thought occurred to me earlier. There was a time when smoking was allowed in pubs. Question to those who think bringing a roll to a pub meal is wrong. Was it equally wrong for people to bring their own cigarettes to the pub rather than buying them there?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:25 pm 

AAA.Handy.Man wrote:
I don't know if this still happens, but in years go by there were cafes and small restaurants which didn't want the bother of selling alc. so one could take along one's own and was charged 'corkage'.
Perhaps Pubs should make a similar charge for customers bringing in their own bags of Fish&Chips and such like = a 'Baggage' charge?

Not a bad idea. I remember the BYOW thing being very popular in my area about 10 years ago. We had some great restaurants that did it, some would charge per bottle and some would charge per person, as I recall it was always quite reasonable, like £1 per person or £3 per bottle. They would chill/store the wine and then open the bottle for you and provide glasses, some did the same with beers too. I always thought it was a great idea as you got to drink exactly what you enjoyed at a fraction of the price you might normally have to pay and the restaurant got to make a little extra money while saving money on providing drinks/license etc.

I guess it doesn't matter to me much now anyway, we nearly always drive when we go out for dinner so never drink.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:17 pm 

:-)
I gave up Alc some years ago when prices of quality wines violated my drop from a salary to a pension. Drinking plonk seemed to be for the Alc rather than the glorious bottled sunshine and careful cultivation.
Having a 7 seater Ye Ancient LandRover Disco2, I suddenly found myself beset by invitations to dinner parties where others wish to partake of plonk.
One of these days someone might splash out and buy me a Chauffeur's cap.

Attachment:
LadyP&P.jpg
LadyP&P.jpg [ 133.81 KiB | Viewed 661 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 am 

Well I popped down to the local last night and as usual the picnic club were in with their crackers , cheeses , pates , pickles , chocolate brownies and cream but this time they went one step further. I'd not seen the like before but this time one had brought in some of his own beer.
He had on the table three bottles that he'd been given for Christmas and getting a couple of glasses from the bar poured out some samples of one in particular which he offered to us. The beer was Fallen Angel Black Death which is made with naga chillis . To be fair there was only two people , myself included , who actually liked it and I ended up with close to half a pint.
Anyhoo, this is the stuff and his wife had got it for him from Debenhams that well known purveyor of fine ales,
http://www.beersofeurope.co.uk/fallen-angel-black-death