DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:50 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:56 pm 
Newly registered Member

wes56 wrote:
coxhq. you would have saved yorself a lot of grief if you had left the ceiling in. and as i advised you you only do one bolt-on at a time cos you dont know what the true loading is or what you could run into, like the unsupported wall.

is it a true sill platethat runs the length of the wall or are they individualpackers under each joist? all old wood has to come out an the space treated and filled with semidry an slate.
use slate an semidry to pack up leveland wedge in the joist tails.
Dont ever cement in old or rotten wood
Keep checing your levels both ways

Thanks Wes56, I think the plate runs the length of the wall, hence the cracking mortar between the joists - that's sat on the crumbling wood too. Where can I get slate packers from?

steviejoiner74 wrote:

I've never wrapped the joist end,it can sweat and rot(a bit like wrapping a fence post in a bag)
Completely cover the end grain and end of joist in deepkill and leave airspace around the end.

And thanks too steviejoiner74, The Joists are pressure treated, can just give them a couple of coats of SBR to make them waterproof? or could I use a regular 5-star treatment from screwfix?

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:54 pm 

any old broken peces of slate will do.pick them out of skips. point a little semidry into the gap an then drive the slate into it.
alwayswrap the end of the joists. they joist tails. they got rotten by being unprotectd in the pockets in the first place.
treated timberis good but its bettr to paste antirot mayonnaise creamon the tails before wrappingthem.
sbr is useless
dont leave air gaps, allround wedge the tails in tight or the joist might move

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:34 am 

First things first you have to eradicate the cause of the rot/damp or it'll happen again.

Like I've said,I'm not a fan of as wrapping a timber joist end in dpc,it traps moisture in and can potentially rot the ends as the timber cannot breath properly. Stick anything that can get damp in a carrier bag and you'll see what happens.

I've seen countless joist ends completely rotten that've been wrapped in dpc,I've also seen many more that are completely fine so it's not a given that they will rot.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:09 am 
Newly registered Member

I can see both points of view here. The reason for the rot in my case is due to an old badly fitted shower that has been leaking since the 90s. The moisture is not coming in through the walls. The other joists in the house are in good condition and sit dry in their wall pockets with either a small gap or mortar up to the brick. I assuming they've been there since the 30s. I'm struggling to find any slate for packing. I'm assuming I'm to use slate as it's hard and non porous? I can't just prop the joists and use cement underneath?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:20 pm 
Newly registered Member

I'd support the ceiling from underneath replace the joists then over board the ceiling screwing into the new joists, this way there's little mess and you dont need to take the old ceiling down

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk