DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:47 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: stupid damn bloody wifi
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:34 pm 

:angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

ok ive got a macbook pro

ive got virgin internet.

every now and then the internet becomes twatfully slow. like old skool dial up. facebook messenger goes off. it keeps saying trying to reconnect.

this site takes an eternity to load up. as do any others i may go on. then all of a sudden they come back. then 10 minutes later its the same. often itll sit with the blue bar at about 1/4 the way across the screen and then just say safari cant open the page blah blah....

however if at this time i hoy a speed test on it reakons im getting 100 meg plus. infact at any time that safari starts being a d*ck like this a speed test says im getting super hyper speeds. which i suspect is b*llocks anyway... weve got one of those tv boxes and it buffers like buggery b*llocks all the time. if it were that quick wouldnt it surely fly??

if i swap channels on the wifi it makes a difference but then its back to the same pretty quickly.

so any advise as to what i can do to help? as i said some days it works bang on. others like today its being a complete d*ck. its got me wanting to fold the laptop in half and frizbe the thing across the street :angryfire:

could it be a hardware problem? i did take it to apple and they seemed to think it was fine and it did seem to be like a flying machine on their in shop wifi.

cheers all

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:18 pm 

What happens if you don't use wifi and plug it in via its Ethernet cable? (just to try it) And how is wifi on another device? Just to compare?

You say it works well at an Apple shop, why not take it to some where else that has free wifi and try it there (Again just to see what happens)

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 9:27 pm 

aye i could see if i can blag a mates wifi when it starts acting up like. to be honest my phone appears to work ok on the same wifi.

what i dont get is how can the speed test thingy work fine but then safari works so rubbish

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:12 pm 

Are you running the Speedtest using an app or visiting a page via Safari?

Regarding your TV box. Is it one of the android streaming boxes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:45 am 
Pro Tradesman

fin, i don't know about mac books but if you can get to a pc on your wifi, you can run a test over a period of time that will highlight any problems you might be having.

open command prompt and then type this.

ping virginmedia.com >> C:\pingtest.txt -t

leave it running for about 15 minutes. then press CTRL & C
now go check your C drive for a file called "pingtest". open it with something like notepad. now it will show you a whole list of what is actually happening with your connection. the speeds, the timed out etc.
if you get a lot of timed out with packet loss then you can do a "tracert". that will list the hops to v/m and any problems you may be having and at which point.
alternatively you can go to speedtest.net and run all of their tests.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:51 pm 

Have you tried a different browser? I find Firefox runs pretty good on the Mac, always good to have a back up browser. Every now and again if I've been on a while things start to slow down so I just close the window and the add on Click&Clean wipes all the history and cookies etc that have built up and slowed things down. Have you got the app Clean My Mac? Money well spent in my opinion, saves time and grief removing all unnecessary files.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:50 pm 

speak to virgin the older super hubs are dire and wifi can be flaky add in Mac and your in a world of hell

firefox works well on mac, its my go to on a mac but that's not often

if you have a smart phone install the speedtest.net app

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:51 pm 
Newly registered Member

This may be worth a try if you haven't already looked into it but you may have automatic updates turned on. If it is downloading software updates that can seriously slow down your laptop. To check it out go to the 'App Store' in Settings and untick all the boxes. You could leave 'Automatically check for updates' on and turn off 'Install app updates'. This may or may not be the problem although I have found it slowing down my MacBook before since it seems to run in the background by default. May be worth a try anyway.