DIY Forum

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIRECTORY | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:53 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 9:53 pm 

I've stripped the wallpaper from all rooms, and most has come off in large sheets with the paint underneath attached. But, some paint has remained on the walls. Most scrapes off, tedious but easy enough to do, but there are a few square metres of plaster with paint still on, mostly on the form of small areas a few inches across scattered around the rooms. How do I know what kind of paint it is i.e. emulsion or oil? The paint is mostly a grey colour, and thin, although there is some dark blue, also thin, and some thick white paint. It all looks smooth/glossy(ish).

Also, what is the best way to remove patches of recalcitrant paint? Nitromors and the very good Ecowotsit paint stripper from Focus do not really work. The paint goes soft, but it is still adhering as a nasty sticky mess on the plaster. Scraping does not seem to work, possibly because the plaster is not perfectly smooth in the areas where paint patches remain. I discovered that heat guns are a no no on plaster (tested in the kitchen prior to a reskim).

I wondered about using a steamer, but I'm wary as the heat and damp could damage plaster if left on too long. As it is a steamer is a good way to discover blown plaster! (I assume the heat expands air trapped behind the blown plaster, causing it to bulge outwards.)

I found this site for strippers, recommended by someone here: http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/

Any good? I have to know if the paint is pol or emulsion though.

You may not be able to see the full post including pictures unless you register or log in

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 11:32 pm 

Just found a site where someone recommended porridge as a paint stripper. Not sure if with sugar or salt though. Sadly I do not have cooking facilities having gutted the kitchen.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:36 pm 

:wtf: gotta be a wind up?

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 3:12 pm 

JK Decorator wrote:
:wtf: gotta be a wind up?

I take it you mean the porridge? Nope, no wind up, see here:

http://marymagdalen.blogspot.com/2009/11/porridge.html
http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/sho ... p?t=198091

Clearly the porridge is a means to hold damp against emulsion for a prolonged period of time allowing it to soften. There MIGHT be enzymes in the oats that help degrade it, but I wouldn't know. I'm going to apply some to a test area on Wednesday, and when the builder comes round on Thursday, I hope he asks what it is. His expression might be worth seeing.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 3:57 pm 

I tried this on paint on a plastered wall, and on gloss white paint on a wooden frame round a serving hatch in the kitchen. Hard to know what kind of paint it is given my ignorance of such things. Anyway, the porridge had absolutely no effect. Either it does not work on this kind of paint, or someone is taking the mickey. I suspect the latter.

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2011 5:06 pm 

Porridge might help strip wallpaper because it would allow longer to soak in than soapy water. No different to a recent suggestion on the forum to put multifinish on paper because it will soak in and come off if it is absorbent.

I wouldn't want to clean up the mess!!