DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:34 am
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Streaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:26 am 

I have just entered the world of streaming and from what I understand it is not (yet) illegal to stream programmes and films as you are not actually downloading the content when you watch it streamed. Does this mean that when you stream a movie it does not leave anything on your hard drive???? I feel slightly uneasy about seeing this stuff on Kodi and although it is the person who has uploaded it to wherever Kodi finds it is the one who is infringing the rules I was concerned about what footprint it leaves on my computer?

Would some knowledgeable person in this area kindly explain please?

Cheers

DWD

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Streaming
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:58 am 

If you're worried just run Ccleaner at it's highest cleaning setting afterwards. I think it overwrites it 35 times :thumbright:

You are correct though in the fact it's not illegal just now. I read an article on the matter a few months ago.

Alternatively if you don't want it on your PC I'd advise buying an android or Firebox and run it off your TV. It's great and I regularly watch YouTube tutorials on my TV

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:32 pm 

Yes, I have a Firestick which I will set Kodi up on, I guess that is too small to hold much memory of downloads.

I just wondered what the technical side of this is on my laptop disc drive memory???????

DWD

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:42 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
I have just entered the world of streaming and from what I understand it is not (yet) illegal to stream programmes and films as you are not actually downloading the content when you watch it streamed. Does this mean that when you stream a movie it does not leave anything on your hard drive???? I feel slightly uneasy about seeing this stuff on Kodi and although it is the person who has uploaded it to wherever Kodi finds it is the one who is infringing the rules I was concerned about what footprint it leaves on my computer?

Would some knowledgeable person in this area kindly explain please?

Cheers

DWD

SFAIA when you stream a film/programme whatever the only evidence left on your 'puter will be a cookie from wherever you are streaming from. May also add a file to internet history (both clearable with CC Cleaner) As a matter of interest the reason you can "stream" these films/programmes is that different countries have different copyright laws. In the UK for instance you are not allowed to re-distribute a film that you have bought in whatever media. In *some countries* you effectively "own" all rights to the film once you have purchased it and can share it with whoever you like.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

For this message the author wine~o has received gratitude : dewaltdisney
PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:15 pm 

Ahh, thanks for that Wino, that explains it for me.

Cheers

DWD

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:55 pm 

I wouldn't worry too much DWD, There are lots of empty threats from these company's but they never follow up. I downloaded movies for years without any recourse. Streaming is a whole different ball game now where you don't actually download the movie you only watch it on someone else's server the have given you access too.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yep, certainly legal somehow! Wouldn't worry about it anyway, they're not gonna follow you up on it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

Dekmantel wrote:
Yep, certainly legal somehow! Wouldn't worry about it anyway, they're not gonna follow you up on it.

Resurrecting old posts mate? Trying to get your post count up :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:41 pm 

Argyll wrote:
Dekmantel wrote:

Resurrecting old posts mate? Trying to get your post count up :lol:

I'm glad he did. At some point earlier this year the law was changed and it is no longer legal to stream from those sites (in the UK).

The good news is that they (whoever they are) are not after the end user, more the people selling the Kodi boxes with the software pre installed.

The internet is not policed as effectively as it could be, police are under resourced and don't have the time to check what Wine~o is streaming or not at any given time.

The main upshot though is that the stream providers are being shut down, although new ones are appearing to take their place...

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:11 am 

Streaming (and something related) My younger sister has moved out to Oman. She's not allowed to use FaceTime, Skype or any other software programs to live video chat with us , back here in the UK... However , there is a loophole,,, By going through a proxy server, she can. (still illegal, in Oman as far as I know) :wink: :wink:

For this message the author joinerjohn has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:50 pm 

joinerjohn wrote:
Streaming (and something related) My younger sister has moved out to Oman. She's not allowed to use FaceTime, Skype or any other software programs to live video chat with us , back here in the UK... However , there is a loophole,,, By going through a proxy server, she can. (still illegal, in Oman as far as I know) :wink: :wink:

It's quite easy to get a VPN and choose a proxy server. It also stops the internet police snooping what you're doing. I use IPvanish and costs about a fiver a month.

Wine o you're quite right it, the law did change although it's still to be tested in the courts. Many streaming sites closed down but as one closes another one opens and I've noticed no difference in content.

It was hardly surprising considering the amount of idiots openly posting about the pre-loaded boxes they were selling. They were waving this in the face of the internet police and Rupert and his Tory pals had to act.

You can still legally buy these boxes and it's quite easy to load it up yourself.

For this message the author Argyll has received gratitude : multiman
PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:57 pm 

A vpn creates secure connections and is worth having increases privacy and.security

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hahaha I didn't even notice the date on this - just trying to engage in what's been posted. Not my fault no one posts on here regularly :error:

Tbh I can see the people who host streaming running into problems, but so many people do stream that I can't realistically see at this moment in time how they'd actually police it.

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]