DIY Forum

Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun May 26, 2019 12:58 pm

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:23 am 

Hi,

Out of interest can anyone explain why a car stops about three car lengths from the one in front at red traffic lights then the driver rides the clutch eventually closing the gap but leaving a three car long gap between my car and his?

Kind regards, Col.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on Delicious
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 10:31 am 

It might be an automatic and the driver is allowing creep in a private game of not quite stopping before the lights go green? I would overtake :lol:

DWD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:36 am 
Mr. Grumpy

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Out of interest can anyone explain why a car stops about three car lengths from the one in front at red traffic lights then the driver rides the clutch eventually closing the gap but leaving a three car long gap between my car and his?

Kind regards, Col.

In my mothers case, 3 truck and trailer lengths. :lol:

Or when first at a red light, hand brake on, out of gear. Waits for lights to turn green before getting into gear, handbrake off and 3 mins before pulling away. Cars behind looking at the lights turning red again

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:11 pm 

Hi,

Thanks DWD; perhaps automatic would be much better then the car could "drive by wire"? Strange how this only ever happens whenever I can't overtake. Bron and I followed an old guy for miles the other day through a village and into open countryside the road having double white lines all at 22mph even in the 50mph sections; if we had overtaken then of course directly behind us in front of a long queue would be an unmarked police car?

Thanks DIY_Johnny for introducing me to your mother; please giver her my regards and say it's the red and black Fabia Monte Carlo she keeps seeing in her rear view mirror?

I daren't say too much because I'm 67 years old so might be joining this kind of driver in twenty years or so? Many years ago I once pulled on to the hard shoulder of the M1 with a steaming Vauxhall Wyvern loaded with friends; no sooner had the car stopped that a police car pulled in behind; I'll forever remember the policeman's words " 70mph is the limit not the target".

Don't you just love the signs which say such things as "bend" or "no road markings"?

Just a take on life for a bit of fun.

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:52 pm 
diesel demon

when I took my minibus test they mentioned what they teach now is Tar & Tyres, basically if you can just see the bottom of the tyres you have an "out" in case of emergency

I have a soft spot for the wife, it's a peat bog just outside Ardross

Still Yes Highland

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:19 am 

Hi,

Thanks village idiot. I too have heard the term tar & tyres. At 70mph on the M62 signs inform us that we must keep two chevrons between us and the vehicle in front which of course is for ours and others safety but two chevrons whilst stationary in traffic is something else; with so much tar in view binoculars are needed to see the vehicles tyres in front? I usually look under such cars to see if there are a pair of legs and feet thinking Fred and Wilma must be out for a spin?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:17 am 

I learned once of the best way to establish the correct gap between cars is using the two second rule. Using this method you spot a fixed point on the roadside that the car in front is passing and say in your head 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule'. if you pass the fixed point at the same time as ending saying the phrase your spacing will be right. This seems to work for all speeds but not obviously in stationary traffic situation.

DWD

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:48 pm 

dewaltdisney wrote:
I learned once of the best way to establish the correct gap between cars is using the two second rule. Using this method you spot a fixed point on the roadside that the car in front is passing and say in your head 'Only a fool breaks the two second rule'. if you pass the fixed point at the same time as ending saying the phrase your spacing will be right. This seems to work for all speeds but not obviously in stationary traffic situation.

DWD

Thats the one they taught me when learning to drive, and also refreshed on my naughty drivers course a few months ago. :oops: :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:37 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay. They never slow down as quick as cars (as I found out when I walloped into the back of one :shock: )

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:45 pm 
Wood Flooring Installer

Quote:
When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay.

Yea, I've heard that about some bikers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Squeakyfloorsolution.co.uk

>>>>>> Manchester based wood floor installers <<<<<<

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:43 pm 

Hi,

Tailgating at speed on a bike is just asking for a short life span. Anyone tailgating should be banned because it is reckless driving. I've ridden many big bikes and driven lots of fast cars but always erred on the side of safety knowing how to apply brakes; I'm sure many don't know where the brakes are these days? Being a coffin bearer for a biker chum many years ago is something I'll never forget (Barry Duxbury; Dewsbury) nor the other four biker chums who were also killed on the roads. High speed can kill but too slow a speed can cause road rage; I wonder how many drivers crawling around at snails pace have been the cause of accidents? In a few years it's possible vehicles will be speed controlled using sat nav technology preventing such equipped vehicles from speeding? Bron and I owned two 2CV's when we first married and to be caught speeding in one of these earned a certificate and a prize not a fine?

Kind regards, Col.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:31 am 
Mr. Grumpy

Wes wrote:
Quote:
When you ride a motorbike all the more reason to have a long gay.

Yea, I've heard that about some bikers :lol: :lol: :lol:

Like Glenn Hughes from the Village people? :)

Attachments:
Glen Hughes.jpg
Glen Hughes.jpg [ 105.06 KiB | Viewed 1582 times ]
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:33 pm 

they got those chevron things on the a19 almost at washington services so sorta chester le street area. i know im almost home when i see the chevrons

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 pm 

Retired wrote:
Hi,

Kind regards, Col.

Actually stops, then crawls forward?
I could understand if they were slowing right down then crawling to try and maintain some momentum for when the lights turn green - stopping and moving off again is really bad for fuel consumption.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:05 pm 

Hi,

Thanks for asking Wee Eck. Yes actually stopping; wait a short while then ride the clutch to close the huge gap they have just created; it's so frustrating to get behind one of these? Slowing down but still moving up to the car in front at red lights I understand. I wonder how much road rage is generated by such driving habits; many times I would like to overtake just to close the gap; in heavy traffic it is even more worse; imagine every driver doing this?

Kind regards, Col.