DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:26 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Steampunk lamp
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:59 am 
Newly registered Member

Hi, I have just completed my first lamp made out of pipe fittings, although a lot harder than I thought it would be nevertheless it's done, however, I have tested it, in as far as I have plugged into the mains (RCD) and switched it on and it was fine, on, off everything seems fine, but I'm worried about touching any part of the metal just in case I have done something wrong as there is a lot of twisting and tightening, so as I said, all appears to work fine, just have that niggling doubt, it is earthed but again I'm still apprehensive. I wondered if there was a way of checking without doing the obvious, touching it. Any help much appreciated

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
 Post subject: Re: Steampunk lamp
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:07 am 

Test meter - ideally an insulation megger but a simple continuity check should do the job.

Measure the resistance between Live and any exposed metal parts. Should read 'open circuit/infinity' everywhere.

Do it for the Neutral connection too.

Unplugged (but switched on) of course....

For this message the author kellys_eye has received gratitude : cliveyb
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

The normal method is to pass a 25 amp current from earth pin on the plug to the metal on the lamp. The same tool also passes a 500 volt to test insulation between both live wires and neutral to ensure they are not connected to the earth however movement can cause a damaged cable to make contact latter, so checking the earth is connected is more important than checking the lives are not connected.

Even one strand of wire will show on a meter that there is a connection, that's why we use 25 amp so if it is just a single strand it will burn out during the test so show there is an open circuit problem. However the rules only ask for a 250 mA and the tool designed for fixed installation only use 250 mA only the portable appliance tester uses the 25 amp test current.

What is more important is to ensure it is built correctly in the first place, your only real way is to ask an electrician, as the test equipment is so expensive.

For this message the author ericmark has received gratitude : cliveyb
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:13 pm 

Find your local P.A.T tester to test and pass it, if you work for a large company they should have a in house person or someone who comes in to do testing

For this message the author Bob225 has received gratitude : cliveyb