DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:48 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

Post subject: Stanley Ratchet Driver
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:15 pm 
BANNED

This is not my usual thing .. but i have recently been using the stanley ratchet driver with hex, phillips & pozi bits. The machines I was installing were not always well manufactures to a little "gentle persuading" was needed and this driver was exceptional and really comfortable to use. Its Cheap as chips too, you'll pick one up for a tenner. Its got a black and yellow handle.

Again .... i dont usually praise tools or rave about them but this was my fav lol

i found a link on amazon. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0001IW7OS/ref=asc_df_B0001IW7OS8579299?smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&tag=hydra0b-21&linkCode=asn&creative=22206&creativeASIN=B0001IW7OS&hvpos=1o3&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16292115561562635017&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Last edited by laddersukdirect on Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:17 pm 

I rcently bought the equivalent JCB tool from B&Q :oops: nice bit of kit....

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:05 pm 

I bought one of those Stanley ratchet screwdrivers about 12 months back now when it was on special @ Screwfix. I noticed it while waiting. I have used it nearly every day since and have given it some serious stick and its still as good as the day I bought it.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:50 pm 

I lost mine some time ago and have never replaced it,come to think of it it was a useful tool :thumbright:

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/#/ple ... 4529684719

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:32 pm 
BANNED

Cannyfixit wrote:
I lost mine some time ago and have never replaced it,come to think of it it was a useful tool :thumbright:

I would definitely recommend getting another, wouldn't go to a job without mine!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

I tried the Stanley, but preferred the ratchet and feel of Facom's Protwist ratcheting bit-holding screwdriver. I thought it was worth that bit extra for the Facom and haven't been disappointed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:26 am 

The Bahco one is the best I've used.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:52 am 

What Argyll says. You can get a short or long version and a long version has a splitable handle that becomes a pistol grip (for difficult screws etc).

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:30 pm 
Newly registered Member

Do you reckon the Bahco's better than the Facom, then? Probably they're both good?

I was put off the Bahco by some of the reviews on Amazon, saying recent Bahco quality's declined. Any truth in that?

I like the Bahco with a light, which could be handy. But the Facom holds more bits inside its handle and you get an extra bit holder too.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:35 am 

I initially bought the Stanley one with the removable shank which I thought was a great idea. However it was a bitch getting the top lid off to get to the bits so I watched Chez's video about the Bahco and opted for that. I've had it for a couple of years and use it almost daily and I'm more than happy with it.

I can't comment on the Facom as I haven't even seen it.

For this message the author Argyll has received thanks - 2: Fancy_Dan, ultimatehandyman
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

About 24 years ago I, in a fit of feel good (had had a good couple of weeks), bought from a snap on van a ratchet hard handle screwdriver. It cost about 26 quid back then .... if I recall correctly!
A lot of money, even now, for a screwdriver!!!
It is the only tool I have bought from snap on.

I then proceeded to use it every working day. It was always in my bag and was a go to tool.

About a year ago it began to slip on the ratchet, only slightly but enough to at times be a problem, it still could do its job ....... but!

Was on a job and saw a snap on van, so walked over and had a chat about the screw driver.
The rep looked at it and said he couldn't fix it there and then and would I leave it with him for a week.
As I would still be on the same site for a couple of weeks, I said yes.

Missed him the next week but saw him the week after where he informed me that it couldn't be repaired .... before handing me a brand new in the box one free of charge! £70 worth!
I was impressed. Thats customer service for certain.

Felt a bit sorry for my decades of service screwdriver so asked if I could have it back or even buy it back ...... sadly for me it had been sent back to its maker.
It served me very well, I miss it .... but hey ....... I have a brand new one for nothing!!!!

Sorry but thats my story :dunno: