DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:08 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:25 pm 
Newly registered Member

Hi,

I am replacing the old handrail and spindles on my stairs (was hoping its a DIY Job...)but need some help about the next way to fix the Handrail to Newel Post.

As you can see in the pictures the old handrail had a tenon cut out but i think this is beyond my carpentry skills! I was going to use a fixing kit that b and q sell but this wont work as the newel post has a big hole in it.

Any ideas what my options are please?

Thanks

Marc

Attachments:
IMG_20171027_191138434.jpg
IMG_20171027_191138434.jpg [ 135.91 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]
IMG_20171027_191131946_HDR.jpg
IMG_20171027_191131946_HDR.jpg [ 123.61 KiB | Viewed 414 times ]
Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:46 pm 

Cutting a tenon is not that difficult.

In this instance it won't help much cos you need one at each end and unless you can spring the handrail in by bending the newel post you won't get it in.

The tenons could be reduced and the handrail swivelled in but that needs very careful cutting.

There's two more ways to do it though: the first involves removing the half-newel and then fitting it all together and sliding the half-newel back in from the side, (and then refixing the half newel to the wall).

The second way is to fit loose tenons. To do this you make a mortice in both the handrail and the newel post.(it's not really a mortice in the handrail, more of a slot).

If you want to use the B&Q fixing kit (I don't know what that is btw) patch the holes in the newel with a carefully cut piece of timber, glue it in and let the glue dry, and the newel is whole again.

For this message the author ayjay has received gratitude : croz
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:03 pm 

i assume the fixing kit would be similar to the zip bolts you get for kitchen worktops. i used one recently on a high end oak job as i wanted to not see any kind of fixings. worked very well i thought.

For this message the author fin has received gratitude : croz
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:47 pm 

As the newels and stair parts will be painted I would be inclined to go for a strong fix on that handrail as it will take a fair bit of use and pressure over time. I would cut through from the back face of the newel to form a channel to allow the tenon of the handrail to be slid in from the side. Making good this access channel would require a carefully prepared piece to fit and glue in. Filler and paint should cover over this well and as it is from the back it is not catching the light so much to show an outline. Cutting the channel would be easiest wit a multitool plunge cutter but a bit of work with a chisel will easily take out what you need.

This is just one way to get around the problem but there are loads of ways you can achieve what you want to do with minimal skills and tools.

DWD

For this message the author dewaltdisney has received gratitude : croz
PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:43 pm 
Pro Carpenter

you can do a false tenon on the handrail
you replicate the mortise size into the handrail about 10mm shy off the top surface
you then make a double ended tenon to fit in
you will also have to angle the bottom off the tenon at the opposite end to allow it to enter at an angle to clear the false tenon when in situ