DIY Forum

 

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

 

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

 

 

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Thu May 24, 2018 6:39 pm
Visit Hilti


Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]




 

 


Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:07 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
Looking for some pricing rates for applying ronseal woodstain on the following
5no new oak veneered doors.
38lm oak bullnose 125mm skirting board
5no oak door linings
5no sets of 75mm oak bullnose archatrave

Its not something I want to do myself but having had no luck finding a decent Decorator

Any help much apprecated


Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:10 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4127
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 761 times
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:19 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:27 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4127
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 761 times
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.
Where abouts in the country are you? There might be someone on here that lives local and can quote you.

I doubt anyone will quote blind though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:31 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.
Where abouts in the country are you? There might be someone on here that lives local and can quote you.

I doubt anyone will quote blind though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


I am in Southampton. Just looking for a rough idea so I covered until I find a decorator. How long do you reckon it would take?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4127
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 761 times
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.
Where abouts in the country are you? There might be someone on here that lives local and can quote you.

I doubt anyone will quote blind though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


I am in Southampton. Just looking for a rough idea so I covered until I find a decorator. How long do you reckon it would take?
No sorry. I'm not going to get involved in giving blind guestimates on price or time scale. It's not fair on the guy that comes round and gives you an accurate quote based on his visit to view the work.

I wouldn't want it done to me.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:50 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.
Where abouts in the country are you? There might be someone on here that lives local and can quote you.

I doubt anyone will quote blind though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



I am in Southampton. Just looking for a rough idea so I covered until I find a decorator. How long do you reckon it would take?
No sorry. I'm not going to get involved in giving blind guestimates on price or time scale. It's not fair on the guy that comes round and gives you an accurate quote based on his visit to view the work.

I wouldn't want it done to me.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

fair enough. But out of interest what is it that could effect the quote by you actually seeing it? I get why you would need to see it if it was existing work. But this is all brand new
I have seen the job so i could answer any questions


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:00 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4127
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 761 times
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
fitzy wrote:
Sorry mate. Impossible to price without visiting the job.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



What would you need to know?

Its all on the ground floor parking directly outside, no furniture to move.
Where abouts in the country are you? There might be someone on here that lives local and can quote you.

I doubt anyone will quote blind though.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



I am in Southampton. Just looking for a rough idea so I covered until I find a decorator. How long do you reckon it would take?
No sorry. I'm not going to get involved in giving blind guestimates on price or time scale. It's not fair on the guy that comes round and gives you an accurate quote based on his visit to view the work.

I wouldn't want it done to me.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

fair enough. But out of interest what is it that could effect the quote by you actually seeing it?
I have seen the job so i could answer any questions


Admit it. You're doing the job and you want me to tell you how much to charge the customer.



Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk



For this message the author fitzy has received gratitude : OchAye
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 10:14 pm 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
I tell you what mate dont give me a price but answer my question "what is it that could effect the quote by you actually seeing it?"

Its all brand new work no carpets down no furniture no one lives their what other variables are their?.
All the oak is smooth as a baby bum with no tear out, all the brads are below the service. All the screws have been plunged and filled.

Admit it you just dont want to help a fellow trades person out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:17 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2012 7:03 pm
Posts: 7364
Has thanked: 42 times
Been thanked: 1248 times
johnfarris wrote:
Admit it you just dont want to help a fellow trades person out.


I don't agree with you, I agree with fitzy (and I am not into P & D)

I shall however try to explain. (Seeing as you are new)

It has a lot to do with "feel" of the customer and the layout. *

In the past people have said (for what ever job) "Oh it will be around £x"
Then when some one actually quotes the job they says it will be "£Y"

The person quoting then asks "well who said it will be £x" to which the reply has to be "oh, it was some person i have never met, that I do not know, that has never been to see the job, on a forum I found said it will be £X"

Not to mention all the following bad feelings / abuse that follows, so it is best not to ask, even for a "ball park figure"

* There are often things that as a specific trades person when visiting for a quote will see, that you can't by asking questions on a forum. Also person A works faster than Person B, so one takes longer than the other so this will be reflected in the quote, there are other similar things too.
How often have you done / gone to do a job and the customer turns round and say "..............but you didn't ask"

_________________
Take it easy, a forum is only a collection of opinions. Above, are mine.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here



For this message the author someone-else has received gratitude : fitzy
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:43 pm 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:22 pm
Posts: 4127
Location: west yorkshire
Has thanked: 898 times
Been thanked: 761 times
someone-else wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
Admit it you just dont want to help a fellow trades person out.


I don't agree with you, I agree with fitzy (and I am not into P & D)

I shall however try to explain. (Seeing as you are new)

It has a lot to do with "feel" of the customer and the layout. *

In the past people have said (for what ever job) "Oh it will be around £x"
Then when some one actually quotes the job they says it will be "£Y"

The person quoting then asks "well who said it will be £x" to which the reply has to be "oh, it was some person i have never met, that I do not know, that has never been to see the job, on a forum I found said it will be £X"

Not to mention all the following bad feelings / abuse that follows, so it is best not to ask, even for a "ball park figure"

* There are often things that as a specific trades person when visiting for a quote will see, that you can't by asking questions on a forum. Also person A works faster than Person B, so one takes longer than the other so this will be reflected in the quote, there are other similar things too.
How often have you done / gone to do a job and the customer turns round and say "..............but you didn't ask"
Plus, I live up in Yorkshire. My day rate could be 30% less than a decorator on the south coast. Now that's a variable for you!




Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:30 am 
Offline
Senior Member

Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:37 pm
Posts: 283
Location: READING
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 34 times
Can’t see it being much more than a day a coat



For this message the author spottie has received gratitude : johnfarris
Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:55 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
someone-else wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
Admit it you just dont want to help a fellow trades person out.


I don't agree with you, I agree with fitzy (and I am not into P & D)

I shall however try to explain. (Seeing as you are new)

It has a lot to do with "feel" of the customer and the layout. *

In the past people have said (for what ever job) "Oh it will be around £x"
Then when some one actually quotes the job they says it will be "£Y"

The person quoting then asks "well who said it will be £x" to which the reply has to be "oh, it was some person i have never met, that I do not know, that has never been to see the job, on a forum I found said it will be £X"

Not to mention all the following bad feelings / abuse that follows, so it is best not to ask, even for a "ball park figure"

* There are often things that as a specific trades person when visiting for a quote will see, that you can't by asking questions on a forum. Also person A works faster than Person B, so one takes longer than the other so this will be reflected in the quote, there are other similar things too.
How often have you done / gone to do a job and the customer turns round and say "..............but you didn't ask"


Going on your theory could you tell me how they ever managed to produce a schedule of rates?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:00 am 
Offline
Newly registered Member

Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 9:05 pm
Posts: 19
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 0 times
fitzy wrote:
someone-else wrote:
johnfarris wrote:
Admit it you just dont want to help a fellow trades person out.


I don't agree with you, I agree with fitzy (and I am not into P & D)

I shall however try to explain. (Seeing as you are new)

It has a lot to do with "feel" of the customer and the layout. *

In the past people have said (for what ever job) "Oh it will be around £x"
Then when some one actually quotes the job they says it will be "£Y"

The person quoting then asks "well who said it will be £x" to which the reply has to be "oh, it was some person i have never met, that I do not know, that has never been to see the job, on a forum I found said it will be £X"

Not to mention all the following bad feelings / abuse that follows, so it is best not to ask, even for a "ball park figure"

* There are often things that as a specific trades person when visiting for a quote will see, that you can't by asking questions on a forum. Also person A works faster than Person B, so one takes longer than the other so this will be reflected in the quote, there are other similar things too.
How often have you done / gone to do a job and the customer turns round and say "..............but you didn't ask"
Plus, I live up in Yorkshire. My day rate could be 30% less than a decorator on the south coast. Now that's a variable for you!




Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk


Forget the rate then how much time? Hurry up I am standing next to the customer they need the price LOL


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Staining rates
PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 8:20 am 
Offline
Senior Member
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 21, 2009 7:18 am
Posts: 3299
Has thanked: 819 times
Been thanked: 431 times
Quote:
But out of interest what is it that could effect the quote by you actually seeing it?


Apart from the labour cost and material cost for the job, one major factor is the likeability of the customer. That can make a big difference to the price. If the customer comes across as being an ar$e my price goes up. That's why I NEVER price any job without seeing it and meeting the customer.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next


Similar topics
   

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dynamod and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


 

 

 

News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list
ultimatehandyman privacy policy

Contact

 

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group

phpBB SEO