DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:58 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

Post subject: Staffordshire handyman
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:30 pm 

Hello , I've visited here a few times and have decided to sign up. Interesting site and I have recognised a few of the posters from another similar forum as they use the same usernames. Unfortunately I won't be as obvious to them as I always use different names on different forums.
Anyway , by trade I am a joiner and spent over thirty years working in restoration. The economic situation took its toll eventually and some four years ago I was on the dole when the firm folded. A second firm laid me off not long after so I ended up working for myself in the handyman role . Luckily for me my job with the restoration firm taught me a general grounding in several other trades , brickwork , stonework , lead work and decorating as well as the obvious woodwork. I also make a few pieces of furniture for the mediaeval re-enactment I'm involved in . I also now seem to do quite a bit of gardening and will admit that to an extent I've blagged it a bit especially with regards to flowers. Vegetables I'm ok with but my knowledge of the "pretty" stuff is limited.
Hopefully I'll be able to contribute as well as gleaning knowledge.

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:33 pm 

:welcomeuhm:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:35 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:57 pm 

Never blag to a customer; if you don't know tell them. Then tell them that you'll find out and come back to them......

Then ask on here. :mrgreen:

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:12 pm 

Perhaps I shouldn't have said blag . To be honest I do tend to tell customers the truth and the story of how I learnt most of my gardening from my father who's attitude was generally along the lines of " if you can't eat it , it's a weed" . Well not exactly that strict , we did have some flowers but dad was never a big fan. There have been times when a customer has mentioned a certain plant and I've had to admit my lack of knowledge. It hasn't been a problem , my failings , and people seem happy with what I do.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:24 pm 
Jack Of All Trades

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:31 am 

Hi,

Welcome to the forum from me too Grendel. When I noticed your Staffordshire location I thought here must be a potter? You do indeed sound to be a true handyman given your many skills so members can tap into your knowledge and experience. :salute:

Already you have a kindred spirit on this forum; Noel is well into medieaval activities currently involved with chain maille making;

http://www.ultimatehandyman.co.uk/forum1/need-2-small-lathed-parts-and-a-little-modification-t81266.html

As a child my late grandfather allotted me a small section of garden and I used my pocket money to buy flower seeds; my grandfather was rather miffed with me saying flowers wouldn't feed me but I was over the moon after watching the soil for days on end to see the plants start to push through. I remember vividly seeing my grandfather dying in bed downstairs and every day he would be asking family members how his broad beans were coming along; I was 11 years of age at the time. Strange how I can remember things which happened over 50 years ago but can't rember things which happened five minutes ago? :scratch:

Kind regards, Col.

SOME PEOPLE ARE SO POOR ALL THEY HAVE IS MONEY.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:07 am 

Interesting reading about the chainmail . I've made butted mail in the past and a laborious task that was. I never got round to making riveted mail but ended up buying some of the stuff coming in from India . The sellers explained that it is still used over there by the police for riot situations , India being a largely knife culture. There were certain moral questions because for what one actually gets it's not a lot of money for the work involved , mental pictures of kids in sweatshops and all that.
Oh and no sorry not from the potteries , bit further south near Lichfield.

For this message the author Grendel has received gratitude : Retired
PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 10:15 am 

:welcome: :hello2:

www.drlgas.co.uk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:40 pm 

Welcome Grendel. I would do a welcome sign but every time I click on one of those emoticons on the left the forum logs me out. :-(
If you don't mind me asking, which re-enactment society do you belong to?( You can PM me if you want). I was in Regia for 12 years.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:25 pm 

No problem asking. I'm in the Ferrers household which is part of the Wars of the Roses Federation. To be honest we started re-enacting a little earlier mid Hundred Years' War period . There is I think a tendency amongst re-enactors to think too big when they start , you know portraying elite forces , famous regiments or some other bigwig and I'm afraid we fell into that "trap" basing the show around four prominent knights. Nowadays we have moved decidedly down the social ladder and though I do still fight as a billman on occasion my main "role" is that of a medieval carpenter. We are a pretty craft , living history orentated group and also have a blacksmith , pewter casters along with cloth and leather workers. A while ago we also was running a full size working bread oven but as we have for various reasons lost the use of two large vans we ran into a serious logistical problem so have had to shelve it ( or more accurately sheet it up on my drive) . In general we are a pretty kit heavy lot anyway people have joked that I tend to break out in chests at times. People also say that we always seem to be doing something and our camp often looks like a proper shithole , both of which we take as compliments :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:33 pm 
Newly registered Member

welcome to the forum