DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:39 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:24 pm 
Newly registered Member

Right, first time posting here guys, im a newbie. I am starting off on a topic which I could do with some advice with. I have been trying to lose weight and get back in to training. What foods would people recommend? What tricks have people used. I know I have to eat less but just want to have some tips and advice from someone was has already done it so I know im going about it the correct way.

thanks in advance guys

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 4:25 pm 

:welcomeuhm: My diet consists of anything I like, plenty of veg, and virtually no refined sugar. Avoid processed fats (Margarine etc) proper fat (Butter, cream, lard) are all acceptable....

As for exercise, no need for expensive gym membership, get a copy of or google the 5BX plan.

Verwood Handyman

If you feel you have benefited from the Free advice given on the Forum, Please consider making a donation to UHM's Nominated charity, read all about it and donate here :

http://www.donnasdreamhouse.co.uk/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:39 pm 
Newly registered Member

thanks Wine~o... I will avoid all sugars apart from naturally occurring in fruit etc and I will check out the 5BX plan. I am going to make a diet plan and eat mainly chicken, veg and avoid carbs if I can. I will try to do moderate exercise and yeh I don't want to join the gym yet.. I think if I sort my diet out I should lose a few lb hopefully quite quickly.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:29 pm 

Everyone will have their own opinion on which diet you should follow.
Truth be known, "diets" don't work.

Take the xyz diet (yes I just made it up) short version. you reach your target weight, then you see no need to follow the xyz diet so you give it up, slowly you go back to your old ways and.......pile the pounds on.

The only real way to loose weight is as you yourself said, eat less. Exercise helps too, you need to find the right exercise routine for you, it could be something simple as walking faster and walking more often and less driving. Gyms are only good for inspiration.

A point to note about fruit. as you said it has natural sugar, so what is the the stuff you put in your tea / coffee if its not natural? answer is, it is just as natural as fruit sugar, just a bit more refined. Your body only knows both are sugar.

Which is correct? Metre or Meter? Click the link. to find out more.

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

If gloom had a voice, it would be me. :mrgreen:

:idea1: How to post a picture on this forum Click here

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:38 pm 
Newly registered Member

If you remove wheat and sugar from your diet the weight will fall off. You'd be amazed just how many products have one or both of those things in them. Best book on health I've ever read is called Wheat Belly by Dr William Davis. If you do decide to exercise look into high intensity interval training, cuts down the amount of time required to exercise each week, no need to run for hours.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:00 pm 
Pro Carpenter

do not buy anything claiming to be diet, low/lower sugar,low/lower fat without checking the lables
they often swap sugar for fat and visa versa
check the weight as they can reduce the the actual food to water/sauce ratio they can also do smaller portions
some products claiming to be diet can have more callories than a standard identical meal but from another supplier

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:17 pm 
Newly registered Member

It's also a myth that you have to eat less. The whole calories in calories out thing was debunked a long time ago. 1000 calories of carbohydrates compared to 1000 calories of protein or fat has a vastly different effect metabolically and hormonally, ie eating carbs causes insulin spikes and when it drops an hour or two later you're hungry again, this doesn't happen with protein. No doubt everyone can relate to having a big pasta meal and being peckish not long after.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:29 am 
Newly registered Member

I will try finding the book you suggest g.nev thanks.. it sounds interesting. I've a work colleague who was on the atkins and was on about how I should cut out carbs. I do like my bread and pasta though! They said it worked but then as soon as they start eating "normally" again then it comes back. I think you are right, big-all, the foods that can be diet are sometimes worse. I have downloaded an app which lets you scan and keep a track of what you are eating. My friend at work suggested some raspberry ketones from Holland an barrett also. Apparently she said celebs used them and they are the new big thing, but im always sceptical with the quick fixes they never work. I will try running on an evening after work. I did a 30 min run last night and have cut my portion sizes so im feeling hungry, never eating to "being full". Someone else I know tried some high protein pasta they said they got and I typed it on google and found some here http://www.myhealthshop.co.uk/high-protein-pasta but I don't know if I should try it or not. Also has anyone tried gluten free ? g.nev that book you were talking about does that advocate it im assuming... ive found some gluten free things here http://www.myhealthshop.co.uk/Health_Foods/Gluten_Free but I don't know if I should try it or not. What I reckon I am going to do is read up a little more about the whole thing and maybe cut out wheat and sugar as much as I can, try to make from scratch most things, run and cut portion sizes. Hopefully it will work! I will keep you guys posted! Thanks for all the advice its much appreciated.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:43 am 

It is TRUE that you should eat less. You can't expect to eat say 3 big meals a day and loose weight, therefore you must EAT LESS.

Don't worry about raspberry ketones, it was just a hyped up fad thing to do, that like most fads doesn't actually work.

As for gluten free, don't worry about that either, I have a friend who has everything gluten free, the reason is.....she is a Ceoliac

As my first reply basically said, eat less and do some exercise. I would also NOT recommend running. The reason is simple, will you go running if it is chucking it down outside, snowing or just generally miserable? of course you wont (You may do once or twice) or even if you do persist with it, will you want / be able to do it the rest of your life? (To keep fit)

No, I am not recommending anything specific, since as I said you have to find what is right for you, but running, is too much. (Oh and it makes me smile when you see people going to the gym to "work out"............by car, what's wrong with a push bike.)

No such thing as "Thou shalt put this wire here, Thou shalt put that wire there" .............Take a picture BEFORE you do the job.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:18 am 
Newly registered Member

The book I mention does NOT recommend gluten free, if anything it is worse. Gluten free food is made up of tapioca starch. It's all do to with the glycemic index and insulin levels as to whether you put on weight.

Basically in the book you'll learn the history of wheat. The wheat we eat today has virtually no relation to the wheat that our ancestors ate thousands of years ago, from memory I think it was in the 40's of the 20th century that we bastardized the wheat to increase yield, it's called dwarf wheat. There are many secrets that the food industry would prefer the consumer did not know. As someone else said, all the diet products are horrendously bad for us, one of the nasties they like to add is called Aspartame.

Best not get me started or your ears will bleed lol (figuratively)

As for exercise you simply have to compare the body of a sprinter and a marathon runner, one is working on high intensity and the other on endurance, high intensity for a short duration builds muscle, the other doesn't. Muscle weights 2.5 times more than fat and your body's metabolic rate will increase thus working harder to burn the calories that you do take in.

We could argue the point over and over about eating less, sure, you will lose weight if you eat less but what I'm saying is that if you eat the right things you don't have to eat less, no suffering is required.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:28 am 
BANNED

Thankxx and Welcome :welcomeuhm:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:08 pm 
Newly registered Member

Yes I don't know how strictly I can follow the running!! I know it wont be easy though as you say in the rain and wind ha. I am trying to sort my portion sizes and I will read the book g.nev suggests. Its about being sensible. I watched a programme last night called "doctor in the house" it was on bbc1 I think. In 2 months they managed to lose over a stone. It was an interesting programme if anyone wants to watch it on iplayer.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:47 pm 

There is your "problem"

alanlifts wrote:
I am trying to sort my portion sizes

But admitting to it is a step in the right direction. :salute:

There is no "easy fix" (unless you consider surgery, but that is not worth it)