DIY Forum

Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate Handyman Ultimate HandymanUltimate Handyman on Pinterest

DIY Forum/Home improvement advice forum

A-Z CONTENTS | DISCLAIMER | DIY VIDEO | HOME | SAFETY FIRST | FORUM RULES

It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:47 pm
Visit Thermo worx

Time zone: Europe/London

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:42 am 

I've worked it out that the TV sound, snoring and coughing I hear coming from the walls is NOT coming from the flats on either side of me but from the flat underneath (I live on top floor). I can hear the sounds coming from the perimeter walls but not so much from the partitioning walls. Underneath the carpets is a cement-like stuff I was told it's called levelling compound and I think the partitioning walls are on top of it. But since the sound is coming from the perimeter walls it makes me think that the levelling compound does not go all the way to the perimeter brick walls and there is a gap through which the sound travels. Do any of you guys know how those flats were constructed and what is underneath the levelling compound and why the sound is getting through? I believe the flats were built in 1979 if that's of any help. If I knew how it is constructed maybe I could come up with some sound isolation trick.

Cheers

Share on FacebookShare on TwitterShare on DiggShare on DeliciousShare on Google+
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:31 am 

dont know how unown flats were built but i do now that soundproofing is a thankless maybe impossible job in most flats.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:04 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

wes56 wrote:
dont know how unown flats were built but i do now that soundproofing is a thankless maybe impossible job in most flats.

yeah i kind of agree. I spend a good deal of money soundproofing my flat. Used two layers of sound proof matting on the floor and ceiling, two sheets of sound proof plasterboard on the ceiling, sealed all gaps with dense sound proof silicone, used a floating hanging ceiling device (forgot the name of it).
Had some effect but not really worth the cost.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:41 pm 

I thought maybe I could drill holes above the skirting boards and spray expanding foam in. There don't seem to be any noise coming from the floor. Only from the walls. So there must be a gap there for the sound to get through? If I spray the foam between the plasterboard and the brick wall behind it maybe it will close the gap and stop the sound? It's not like I have noisy neighbours, there is no one above me, I can't hear anything from the sides, only from the flat underneath. I don't think he has his telly loud. During the day it's not a problem, I don't notice it. But I think he is one of those people who likes it in the background for comfort and even sleeps with the TV on. And at night my hearing is very sensitive and I can hear it. And I hate any kind of electronic noise in the background. It drives me nuts. So I'm thinking if I spay expanding foam all around the perimeter of the flat maybe it will be enough to get the sound getting through so I don't have to sleep with ear-plugs. What do you guys reckon?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:52 pm 
Mr. Grumpy

Noise transmitted sound will come the floor and rubber matting does help.

Sound insulating is a bugger as its like leaving a window just open a crack, the sound will come through almost the same as leaving fully open.

If you think sound is travelling up the walls as in many flats, there really is nothing short of drastic measures you can do. I'm open to ideas myself but after researching this in depth I didn't find anything really that effective. A thick carpet and underlay makes a decent difference. I noticed in my flat when I removed the existing carpet before I laid the new floor.

Google airborne and impact sound transmittance

PS The Resilient Bar Systems is the one I did and that still was a touch disappointing.

Have a read around old posts on here, some lads have tackled it a few times.